1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uriah, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Uriah

Uriah Thread Starter

Hi all.

My Dad just bought a laptop and I got his old PC. It's a Dell Dimension XPS t600r
    P3, 386MB RAM, 650mhz, 10gb HD, 64/32mb video, CD-RW, CD-ROM

Is it possible to upgrade the processor chip on this? How do I find out the chipset of this computer?

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

The highest processor you can possibly go to is Pentium III 1.2Ghz.

What OS are you planning to have or have right now?

If you are planning to get HL2, Doom3 and the like, you may have to do the whole machine.

4. norton850

norton850

I'm sure by design, Dell's usually don't upgrade very far. Look for a service tag on the back of your machine and go to the Dell site for info about your system. The forum there can also be useful for this topic.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

That's true too..

6. Uriah

Uriah Thread Starter

It has WinXP on it it right now.

Really its pretty good everywhere except the processor. Its got more RAM then my brothers computer which I also use too.

I'm not planning any high end games like HL2 but I would like it to be compatible with some of the less straining games.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

you need at least 512Mb for WinXP

8. Uriah

Uriah Thread Starter

Heheh.

Yeah right. Its running on my other computer with only 256mb. I think you got your numbers wrong.

9. mfdsuk

mfdsuk

im running xp fine with 128mb of ram on one of my computers and also fine with 256 on another computer

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Well time will tell guys :D Why do you think my old machine is R.I.P? :D

I'm not saying you can't run WinXP on 256Mb, just that you will see some noticable difference with it.

11. Uriah

Uriah Thread Starter

Well of course it would run better, but it's still extremely usable on 256mb. I can't really see how much faster it could be. The only thing my computer(s) slow down for is big games and multiple programs all loading at once.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Not enough memory :D

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Here are your system's specs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/specs.htm

Looks like the best you can do is go up to an 850mhz cpu as it only supports 100mhz fsb. Doubt that a cpu upgrade will make a noticable difference in performance.

It does seem to have a 2x agp slot so maybe a decent 128mb video card may help.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

You're better off building a new one... :)

15. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

The official minimum for windows xp is 128MB... my recommendation for it is, like Tidus4Yuna said, 512MB

If you are running it on 64MB then you will be amazed how fast it will run when it has just 256 to work with.

But yes, you are better off starting over from scratch, although if you dont want to do that, a good pentium 3 isn't bad either.

16. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

I would opt for the AMD 2700+... probably the highest you can go and keep some change in your pocket.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325293