1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whisper, May 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisper

whisper Thread Starter

I have an old Compac Presario 866. On the "My Computer" properties it has: 80486 and 32.0MB RAM. I don't know how fast my processor is (nor how to find out)I only know that it is slow. I would like to upgrade but I was wondering if I would have to change my motherboard to do this. Please pardon my stupidity!

2. donS

donS

Whisper--
    Hey, upgrades are complicated enough to confuse anybody. To run a modern CPU you will need a new motherboard, power supply, and RAM, at least. A new CPU will have a different number of pins and fit into a different slot/socket than you've got on your current board. Your 486 used a core voltage of 5.5 volts, and modern CPUs need 2.8 to 3.3, depending on model--that's one reason for a new power supply. And modern boards use 168-pin memory chips, so you'll need new RAM.

You could probably gain some simple CPU speed with an upgrade chip, maybe boost it to 133 MHz, but you'll pay quite a bit and won't get any of the benefits of the new bus designs, expanded CPU functions, built-in USB, etc that you get with a good board/CPU.

Shop around on the Net and I bet you can find a decent Tyan or ASUS board for $80, a Celeron or AMD K6 chip for about the same, a case-power supply for $50, and 128 MB RAM for $130.

Have fun--

--Don S.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice