1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ynot6211, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ynot6211

ynot6211 Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade my processor without pulling out the motherboard or anything. Is there like a box i can just plug in or what? I am currently running an Intel Celeron which is way too slow for my games that I want to play. I am completely new to processor work so someone please help me out. If I could Upgrade, I would like a 2.6 Ghz or around that speed. Also, i would like a reccomendation on ehat brand of processor to buy. Thanks,Tony

2. brite750

brite750

Download and run Everest Home (free program) this will give us the info that we need to determine your needs, we need to know what motherboard you have so we can see what cpu you can use. It is quite possible to change a cpu without pulling the mobo, depending on how much clearance you have in that area. As far as brand, your stuck with Intel, AMD sockets are totally different than Intel, at least since the old socket 7 days.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Chances are you are going to have to get a new motherboard too.

4. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

And with the motherboard...you may need new memory or even a video card too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382086