1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heliocentric, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heliocentric

heliocentric Thread Starter

i have an easynote f5 280. i thinking about upgrading from the celeron 2.80ghz it has now.

the motherboard is a SiS M661FX. does anyone know what would be able to work with the mother board? or if their is a list of processors anywhere?

thanks alot

2. Sponsor

3. heliocentric

for instance will a Intel Pentium 4 Mobile, 3.06 GHz work in it?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While it looks like the chipset does support that cpu, you most likely will NOT be able to have it work.

One big reason is that laptops are designed to operate [read cool] the parts they ship with. Even if you could install the cpu, it would overheat.

Next big issue would be battery life. Those laptops have pretty poor battery life as it is; swap in a more power hungry cpu and you have little or no battery life.

In short if you want a faster laptop, buy one. Do not expect to upgrade an existing one. The only upgrades you can generally do to a lappy is more ram or a larger hd.

5. heliocentric

im not worried about the battery because i never use it.

i read that a p4 m uses less power than a celeron?

i have seen other easynote models with p4's in them so i thought it would be ok to upgrade?

thanks

6. heliocentric

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623827