1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sellahr, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sellahr

sellahr Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my processor. I have an HP 4533 with and amdk6 450mhz processor i am looking at a amd 1.2 ghz processor want to know if i will be able to upgrade without replacing the mother board.

2. Sponsor

3. tvance.net

tvance.net

Find out what your motherboard is first...either on the HP archive page or open it up and look on your motherboard for a make and model name..

then go into google or something, pop that name in and look for the best spec page you can find...that should give you your chipset, which should tell you how high you can go on the processor...

If that 1.2 chip is a 266 front side bus, as old as your system is Im pretty sure, your motherboard wont work...You might just consider muying a new motherboard that will fit in that case that will go with your chip better.

You probably have the newer type ram that you can just interchange.... ELEMENTS makes an very good motherboard for around $90 that takes both SIMM ram and DDR ram and take sthe NEWEr Socket A chipset which will allow you to go as far as you want AND is 266 FSB, which is what you will need for the higher up chips! It is the 867AS Elements mboard.

hope this helps!

tvance/.

4. rwodeo

rwodeo

You said that your CPU was a K6 and the CPU you are thinking about is a A socket they won't interchange.

5. sellahr

sellahr Thread Starter

How woudl i know what motherboard will be compatable with my computer?

6. tvance.net

tvance.net

The only thing that needs to be compatible are the Motherboard, the chip and the ram, the 1.2 you are talking about takes a SOCKET A chipset and that is all you have to look for in a motherboard...you want to also make sure your current RAM is a SIMM (A LONG THIN PIECE with NO bulges on the side---Just look up SIMMs and also 72Pin Ram to see the difference)

Your RAM is probably SIMM which is compatible with MOST motherboards, just make sure the motherboards you buy takes SIMM and not DDR.

You should also check that your case will fit an ATX (current size of most motherboards...you may just wanna buy anew case and power supply....I know I know...)
    but these are the things you are faced with when upgrading.

The COOL THING is when you upgrade to a SOCKET A chipset, you could BUY an 800Mhz AMd all the way through a 2000AMD XP+ as long as your motherboard is 266 front side bus...

confused?

its a tough choice....you will save money if you buy (should save money) New Case, Power supply, Motherboard, and Chipset...and you can keep you hard drive, ram, floppy, and whatever other drives you have.

7. active95

active95

If you have a HP computer with and AMD K6 450 then you are pretty much stuck with AMD K6. Now in a perfect world you would be able to get a AMD K6 550 but since you have a HP it mean that you need to take a look at the hp.com tech support and download the lastest BIOS ( if you can find one ) for your computer. With that in mind , moving to the AMD 1.2 T-bird. Like the previous post that is a Socket A , meaning it will not fit in your HP ( it might look the same , but it's totally different).
    The HP computer that you have is using a Super 7 motherboard and those kinds of motherboard ( most of the times ) will use what is called a AT power supply ( AMD Thunderbird uses a ATX power supply ) so you're pretty much out of luck there as well ( meaning can't use your current power supply ).
    Moving to the RAM . Again most of the Super 7 motherboards will use SIMM's . All that is nice and dandy , with the exception that a AMD Thunderbird ( at the the 1.2 gig which you would like to have ) use a DIMM . So you're out of luck on RAM too..
    Basically like i mentioned you have 2 options:
    1. get a AMD K6 550 ( if you are able to get a BIOS update -that is a small piece of software which will modify the motherboard to accept a 550)
    2. will need to get a whole new computer ( or parts) to move to the AMD Thunderbird 1.2. ( and when i mean parts you need to get a new case, RAM ( DIMM) , power supply ( ATX ) and motherboard.
    Depending of what you need to do with the computer ( as in web surfing, Office, etc..) a 1.2 gig AMD will do just fine... On the other hand if you are a 3D games user then might need to think about a 1.4 gig AMD. Of course if you want the cream of the crop then a AMD 1.7-2.0 gigs will fit the bill.
    If you have ( or at least are willing ) to build your own computer there are a bunch of books that will take you step by step ( for instance http://www.techtv.com/shopping/booksandvideos/story/0,23350,3352873,00.html will take you step by step)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70585