1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoshRod, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

I was wondering if I was able to upgrade my Processor to the Intel Core 2 Quad Processor?

Motherboard: Dell Dimension 4600C.
    DirectX: 10.1
    CPU Type: Pentium 4, 2.66GHz
    RAM: 512MB (Should this be updated?)
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel Springsdale-G i865G
    BIOS: Phoenix (09/19/03)
    Video Adapter: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller (This too?)
    3D Accelerator: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (This as well?)

If there's anymore information you need, let me know. Would this all let me upgrade my Processor to the Intel Core 2 Quad or no? If not, what are some suggestions for the things I need to upgrade to upgrade my Processor?

2. midders

midders Account Closed

According to Dell the processors supported by your system are:
    My advice would be to buy a new barebones system (just the main box), since if you upgrade your motherboard to support a modern CPU, you'll also need new RAM and probably a new SATA hard drive at which point it is generally cheaper and less hassle to buy a new system and use your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

Slainte

midders

3. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

So I wouldn't be able to upgrade to Intel Core 2 Dual Processor? Dang.. How about an Intel Pentium 4 Dual Processor? Would I be able to upgrade to that to get a processing speed of 3.20GHz? Also, what's better? An Intel Core 2 Dual Processor, Intel Pentium 4 Dual Processor, or an Intel Pentium 4 with HT Technology? If it's the Pentium 4 Dual, I might buy that if I am able to upgrade to it. If it's the Pentium 4 with HT, I'll buy that then. But, if it's the Core 2 Dual, then I won't.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

With what is available to you, and none of those are dual core you really would not see any difference. Take it to 2 gb ram and you will so maybe that will hold you for a while, but do it right by matching the ram at a site like www.crucial.com and not just buying any old thing and throwing it into the slots as most people do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875465