1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parsonm6, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Hey guys
    I have this laptop
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Pentium-Fingerprint-Windows-Premium/dp/B0056PDKCO
    It's really bogging down hard after a couple years, and I've tried running defrags, CCleaner, Anti Virus, AdAware, Malware cleaners, whatever I could find online to give me advice to try to speed things up. I'm just wondering if it would make any sense at all to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB to try to speed things up? I don't play any games on it really, and don't do any video editing or anything. I really don't think I'm overtaxing it like crazy, but it does get really damn hot.
    So, should I upgrade my RAM or is that loads of RAM for my purposes and it would be pointless to upgrade

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    for general purpose i would suggest 4gb is enough

Also to see the additional memory you would need 64bit windows
    start>right click on computer > properties

what surface do you use on - are the vents blocked
    perhaps its full of dust

3. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Yeah I'm running 64bit so I'd be good there
    I'm pretty careful to keep the vents clear when I'm using it, and I just took it all apart today and cleaned it out, but I didn't see any significant amount of dust built up anywhere

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

I'll run those checks when I get home and let you know.
    As for programs and data, not a lot of either, but I know I have overcrowded my hard drive in the past which led to some significant issues. I've probably got too much stuff on it again, to be honest. I'll see what kind of free space I have when I run those tests tonight

6. trogdo

trogdo

Perhaps when you tried all the things under the sun you downloaded something dodgy and that made things worse. As others said, 4GB is plenty for everyday use and a re-install of Windows may just be the quickest and the most effective solution.

7. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Yeah there's a good chance of it to be honest haha I try to be careful but you can only do so much. So should I just go grab a little portable hard drive and dump anything I really want to keep onto it and then just wipe it? If I don't have my windows discs how do I go about re-installing?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to create a recovery set of disks from the laptop

there should be a program to create the recovery DVD on the PC

9. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Well that brings up the other issue of my dvd drive not working hahaha guess I'll have to go get an external or something

10. trogdo

trogdo

First thing to do when you get home is copy a whole bunch of stuff onto your external HDD. Will likely take a while.

As etaf suggests, you may be able to recover Windows to its original state via software already on your laptop without much effort at all. See if Rescue and Recovery (or Onekey Recovery, depends on the laptop model) is stashed away in the Start Menu somewhere, it should be straight forward enough. Failing that, find Onekey on Lenovo's ever so easy to navigate support pages and download the heck out of it and follow instructions.

If for whatever reason Onekey or Rescue and Recovery don't work, it's time to turn to Microsoft; see if this link helps. Have you a USB flash drive 4GB or bigger? Instead of burning a DVD you can "burn" a DVD image file (.iso that the link will hopefully lead you to) onto the USB stick and use that effectively as a disk.

This should keep you going for now, keep us posted.

11. trogdo

trogdo

You have Lenovo b570, so look for Onekey Recovery.

12. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Perfect thanks for all the info guys, I'll let you know how things go down haha

13. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Check Disk, said everything was healthy. I think i ran the sfc /scannow but im not absolutely certain haha just kinda popped up a dos window real quick and then went away
    I've got 277 GB of 421 free on my hard drive, but I really don't have much stuff on my computer.... I feel like there's a lot of garbage hidden away somewhere so I'm thinking a wipe is gonna be my best option
    Moving forward, I'm considering switching to an SSD. Any advice on what would be compatible with my machine? It's an Emerald Lake FAB 1 motherboard. I'm getting a lot of conflicting info when I search for compatible SSD's

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Run again this time
    Goto
    All Programs>
    Accessories>
    Command Prompt> {right click and "run as administrator"}
    then in the window that pops up
    run sfc /scannow again

Make sure
    1) you have all the data backed up
    2) you have the installation Discs/software for any programs that you have added
    3) I would make the recovery DVDs/ USB stick/flash drive

15. parsonm6

parsonm6 Thread Starter

Alright the scan is running now, and I've got a 32GB flash drive coming to pop everything I want to keep onto. Lenovo has onekey recovery with a hidden partitioned boot sector on the c drive. Should that be adequate or should I put a recovery on the flash drive as well?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice