1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Ram Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mystik777, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mystik777

Mystik777 Thread Starter

I currently have one 2gb stick of ram. I just bought one 8gb stick. Both sticks are DDR3 1333 / 10600. After removing the old stick and adding the new I get no signal when starting. no beeps or anything. I also removed the battery to reset the BIOS after and still no signal. If i remove it and replace the old 2gb stick it starts up just fine. Any idea on what the problem could be. My Motherboard have 4 slots and supports up to 16gb of ram also.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Take care inserting ram sticks, they only fit one way. There is a notch on the bottom of the stick that is not centred. Both clasps at the end of the stick should snap shut if the stick is inserted correctly. The properly inserted stick should not rock .

3. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Please run this to provide us with your system specs. http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe. Also the exact RAM you bought as a replacement. You may have gotten a bad stick, it may be a compatibility issue. Having your specs will help determine what might be happening.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mystik777:

You haven't provided the brand name and model number of your computer's motherboard, so we don't know how much RAM it supports and what speed/capacity modules it uses.

If yours does have 4 DIMM slots and does support a maximum of 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, that means it can't use more than 4 GB in each DIMM slot.
    4 GB x 4 = 16 GB

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!