1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading ram on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heliocentric, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heliocentric

heliocentric Thread Starter

would this ram be ok for what i need?

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...960195,40380,4294960367,4294960365,4294960118

i currently have a 256mb card, 64mb of which is being used for the graphics so i thought i should upgrade

i have a packard bell Easynote F which uses -
    * Requires a 184-pin, non-ECC, PC2700 DDR SDRAM.
    * Can accept 128, 256 or 512 MB memory modules.
    * Maximum memory capacity: 512 MB

thanks

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Have you looked inside to see if you have a open dimm slot first?

3. heliocentric

ok your gonna have too tell me what that is lol

theres only one slot which says on the packbell site can be upgraded to 512mb

thanks alot

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Im am not saying it will not take the new stick. What I am saying is open it and see just how many slots it has as most have two.

5. heliocentric

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Then yes it should work but you will have to remove the 256 stick and use it later in a different computer=that sucks,lol.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On Dell laptops, there are two memory slots. They too say that there is only one that is upgradeable. THis is the one accessable on the bottom of the laptop. The other Ram slot is under the keyboard require partial disassmbly of the laptop to access this slot. What i am guessing is it is a similar situation that you have. Unless as pug says, there is only one ram slot on the computer. Then you would have to access this and remove what is installed and replace it with the new higher capacity Ram stick. Since that website doesnt cover how to do this you would have to refer to your owners manual if you still have it. Or find one to download somewhere to find out where and how to access the ram.

8. heliocentric

i opened it up and found there to me 2 slots, one being used and one empty one (i have attached a picture) so i have now ordered a new 512mb memory card to go in the empty slot.

i noticed my intergrated graphics card uses 64mb of the existing memory, when i install the new memory card is there anyway i can increase the amount the graphics card uses to e.g. 128mb?

thanks

p.s. heres my laptops make and model http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PB03400601&g=1400

Attached Files:

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Be advised the computer maynot work with more than 512MB ram installed between the two slots. considering that the Max Ram is only 512MB ram. Some will just not use the ram over max some will not work properly, some will not run at all.

10. heliocentric

11. heliocentric

also on the site where it says 512mb is the max it also says that theres only one slot so i think that website has the wrong info...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/446499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice