1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Ram question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LuckyHeart, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LuckyHeart

LuckyHeart Thread Starter

I currently have 512mb DDR2 5100 ram, but im bidding on One GB of DDR2 3200 Ram. Which am I better off going with? I know I should get One gig of the 5100, but thats not an option right now!
    Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PC-5100? Are you sure?

Well 1Gb or memory, or 1.5Gb if you combine the two, is better then 512MB even though it may have a slower clock speed. What processor do you have? Ideally the memory should have the same or faster external clock of the processor so as to not affect the overall system performance.

3. LuckyHeart

I have 3.1 ghz processor. And I'd love to combine them but I have only two slots which has 256mb in each one. Came with the computer. Its a dell dimension e310. Do you think the systems performance will improve alot?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be quite noticeable depending on what you do.

Your system take PC2-3200 or PC2-4200/4300 - 400 or 533 MHz DDR2. and for most the processors that shipped int hat computer PC2-3200 should be insufficient.

5. LuckyHeart

I'm not sure I completely understood your response. Are you saying that the ram im looking to buy is insufficient, or the ram it cam with is insufficient? Thanks for your help btw!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I was saying the speed of PC2-3200/400Mhz would be ok to use.

7. LuckyHeart

Ok thanks, so do you recommend I do this? Even with the clock speed drop I'll still have the performance increase right? Thanks again!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In this case more memory will be better then less memory at a faster speed, so the upgrade should be a good thing. However if you can get PC2-4200 or PC2-4300 (533Mhz DDR2) then get that, the cost difference should be very small and you'll have the best of both worlds.

9. LuckyHeart

Ok thanks! (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!