1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomlunt, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

Just a simple question today.

I have 256MB of Ram, and it's just not cutting it (i keep a lot of programs open and use Windows XP fast user switching). so i just ordered another 512MB of RAM (you can never have too much Ram). The 256 is on one chip, the 512 on one chip.

Does it matter which order they are in the slots (should the 512 be first)?

Thanks in advance - especially since the memory won't be here for another few days.:)

Tom

2. n2gun

n2gun

With the new motherboards it does not seem to make a difference.

I run XP and the problem I ran into (believe it or not)
    If I put the 512 in the first s;ot XP would not boot. I put it in the second slot and 128 in the first and works fine.

I would just put it in the second slot and try it.

3. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

n2gun -

I'll let you know next week what happens. thanks.

TL

4. yul

yul

i have compaq presario 5000 series 64MB RAM.....so i bought 256RAM from a local shop (cos compaq RAM's are pretty expensive).

when i put the RAM and started the computer it started the countdown alright but it gave me a 164 memory size error...then booted the computer ok.

but after that i started experiencing constant fatal exceptions....so i took out the RAM then it was ok....but when i put the RAM in again...it would not boot.

i think i will have to get a compaq RAM only !

5. cavp

cavp

For yul: there are other RAM makers (Kingston, Crucial ) that sell equivalent RAM modules for brand machines... and cheaper...

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Tom, be sure your motherboard can take a 512 meg chip in one slot........is it still the Dell machine?

7. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

AcaCandy -

Yes, it's still the dell. It has two slots for memory, and the machine can have up to a Gig - so 512Mb per slot is OK. Thanks.

I ordered from crucial.com. 2nd day shipping for free, so i should receive the chip on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

8. JediKnightr

JediKnightr

I just fixed a problem on an Athlon XP 1900+. I had 1 256MB stick of Kingston RAM, and 2 128MB Crucial sticks. I would install Windows, but I kept getting fatal exeptions, random crashes, etc. So finally I took out the Kingston (so now all sticks are the same brand and size) and it runs perfect. Just remember that if you run into trouble.

9. yul

yul

i will try that!

10. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

Well, the 512MB chip came today. I just plugged it into the second slot and it worked just fine. I now have 768MB.

The only problem i ran into was my CD-RW drive died (again). In fact, the computer wouldn't even boot after adding the memory, but the CD-RW drive light would stay on - so i knew something was wrong (from previous experience - it died once before).

After i unplugged the CD-RW, the computer booted up perfectly. I guess all that's left is a phone call to Dell Tech Support to get a new drive.

TL

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it still under warranty?

12. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

AcaCandy -

Yup - still under warranty thankfully. I'll call Dell later this week when i get some free time. Thanks.

Tom

PS - it might be a jumper issue, although both the DVD and CD-RW worked before. They are on the same cable, and the jumpers are the same. oh well, i'll worry about it later.

TL

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!