Upgrading RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aric49

Hello Everyone,

Recently, i tired upgrading the RAM in my windows xp computer from 256 to 768, via a 512 stick. I bought this ram off of my one friend, and its completely compatible with my system. When up popped in the stick, in the second ram slot, and booted up, i got some BIOS beeps.. I thought this was really odd, so i took out the ram, reseated it, and booted up again, I still got the bios beeps. I then took out the 256, put the 512 stick in the first slot, and i still got the beeps. I got on AIM to talk to my friend to make sure that its the correct ram, it was.. Then i asked him what the problem could be, he told me to take out my CMOS battery, insert the ram, boot up, shut down, put the cmos battery back in, reboot and it should work... I STILL got the beeps... By this time, i was out of ideas and so was he so i gave him the ram back, and i got my money back. He told me he had no idea what the problem could be becuase the ram worked just fine in his friends computer before he gave it to me.... My idea is that maby the ram got broken when i was transporting it in a compartment in my backpack... but I`m also worried that maby my computer will never be able to have a Ram upgrade... perhaps the ram slot is broken... Should i go ahead and buy ram off the net, even though it may not work?

some motherboards are funny about ram.tell us your system spec.gateway dell hp e-machine some older system only like ram from the manufacture.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's hard to know, and it's pretty tough to diagnose since you don't have the RAM anymore. If you had it, I'd run a memory test. If it didn't like it in the one slot, I'd have removed the working memory and put it in that slot, you know that one is working.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

that machine takes pretty standard RAM, If in fact the 512 chip your friend had was either of the two your board handles, I don't think you would have had a problem. Do you know the speed of the RAM installed now? Do you know the speed of the RAM your friend had? There's 2 for your machine, DDR-SDRAM PC2100 & PC1600. PC2100 being faster than the 1600. Maybe they were mismatched. Even if they were I still think they would work.

I think the RAM was not compatable in the first place. The manufacturers could have conflictions. There is really a ton of stuff that could have been wrong. Your best bet. Call or go online and see what RAM HP recommends then go out and get some. I have a feeling even maxing that machine out isn't going to help it much. Do you just use it for school? There is not much you can upgrade on that model. Even with your machine with the maximum 1GB of RAM it holds, it will still be slow. I suggest don't bother wasting money on that and save for a new rig.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online