1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ok43, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ok43

ok43 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with 128 mg of RAM. I'm going to upgrade to 256. I just want to know is there anything special I need to know before I buy the RAM. I'm going to install myself and I've never done this before. I know what I have now is SDRAM and I printed the specifications from the Dell site. Is it safe to buy a different brand? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

:)

2. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    Usally ram is Vendor neutral and can be placed in any machine without a problem. I would recommend that you take a look at www.crucial.com, they have one of the best prices around for memory and will tell you exactly which will work best in your system. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

3. mikey751

mikey751

You want to make sure your properly grounded before handling and installing the ram since the static can fry it in a hurry. :)

As far as buying a differnet brand of ram. I've heard that differnet brands of ram don't always get along.

I had a friend of mine buy a different brand of ram for his computer would lock up on him all the time after that. He then installed the same brand of ram and it worked great.

That's my experience anyways. :)

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

You should get some good answers to your question from the hardware "heavies" (in their sleep some folks can tell you exactly what your machine requires). One thing you can do is take the current stick out. Take it to your local computer store and ask them what they have which is compatible. If you don't want to buy from them at least note the description of what they show you. Then you can buy it elsewhere. You can also go to Dell's web site and find the specs for your machine.

Be careful with your memory. Ground yourself before you remove it and/or add new. Once out, handle it lovingly.

5. Marturo

Marturo Guest

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!