1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading screen resolution from 1366x768 to 1600x900

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrjoey98, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrjoey98

mrjoey98 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joseph
    Hello all,

I have been considering upgrading the LCD panel on HP EliteBook 8470p. When I bought it, it said that it came with a 1600x900 resolution, but after it came in it had a 1366x768 resolution.
    I've been looking at LCD panels on eBay, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222405827922?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    and in the description, it says: "If you are wanting to go from an HD (1366x768) display to an HD+ (1600x900) display - this will not work." Oddly enough, that's actually what I'm trying to do.
    I've also asked elsewhere about upgrading my screen's resolution and I was told that replacing the LCD panel was the only thing I can do to get the higher resolution.

I just want to make sure I get everything right, if there's anything else I need to do, and that I don't end up wasting my money on a new screen.

Thanks in advance. (y)

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If an ebay seller is telling you that parts are not interchangeable, theres a reason for it. The 2 screens are NOT the same- chances are they have a different connector, and most likely a different operating voltage. If this is not exactly the some as your current screen, its a fried screen. The
    fact that the seller has put the note up suggests they have had people have been returning them for this very reason.

Given the small screen size, think about why you want to change the screen res. In terms of visual quality, you are not going to see any real difference. If you need hi res, your best bet is to plug in a monitor and see what it looks like.

3. saikee

saikee

Apart from the obvious screen size limitation pointed out by Gulo Luseus the screen resolution is also dependent on (1) The screen basic resolution and (2) The graphic card capability.

By changing just the screen alone may not be enough if the graphic card has not been correctly hard-wired to deliver the hign resolution required.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice