1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading the Lego Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyboyfx, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx Thread Starter

hey, i am thinking of upgrading the lego computer to the 500-1000Mhz. My friend can hook me up with a motherboard and chip for very cheap. works for a local computer store. However, will i need to change anything else around. The current ram is 32 mb in 4 slots and is shorter than the stuff in the new computer. The sound card goes in a black slot, which i dont see in a new computer, and the powersupply is 230-250w, cant trully read the last number. I have a few old games that require a 400mhz, and a 4mb vidcard, 32mb ram, etc.

Thank you so much for any input.
    Mobo and processor will cost me $50-75, so i want to stay below 30 for the rest of the stuff.

2. Sponsor

3. rugrat

rugrat

You probably have a few issues and will cost more than $30.
    1. The black slot for the sound is an ISA slot, almost no baords now have them, so you need a new sound card if it is not built onto the new board.
    2. Your old ram sounds like fast page memory and will not fit.
    3. You may get lucky enough for the power supply to work even though it is underpowered, question is, is it an ATX or an AT power supply and what type does the new board take?

Let Us Know

4. dannyboyfx

the board takes an ATX, but how do i tell if it is an ATX power supply.

figured i would go with the specs :)
    450mhz,
    96mb ram
    4xcd drive
    20GB hard drive
    16mb vidcard
    that is the required to play GTA3 :), wonder what that looks like even.

5. rugrat

rugrat

On an AT power supply, you will have 2 connectors (side by side one row of wires wide) to the motherboard, on an ATX it is one double wide connector.

6. dannyboyfx

mine has 2 connectors with the black ones in the middle. I think that means AT. So, now i need an ATX power supply i guess. I found an old soundcard that i can use, so that is no longer a problem. Ram should be cheap these days. so maybe 40-50 for the whole thing.

7. rugrat

rugrat

Yes that is an AT power supply, good ATX, about $50, RAM depending on type, pc133, pc2100, pc2700 etc... 16 to 18cents per meg.
    May cost you a couple of bucks more than you expected but, can be done for a reasonable cost,

SeeYa

8. rugrat

rugrat

I would also suggest looking into a good video card. Since you are not looking at state of the art, a good 64 meg card can be had for about $30 at www.newegg.com

SeeYa

9. rugrat

rugrat

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

upgrade to lincoln logs and tinker toys. :D

11. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

12. Big-K

Big-K

They fall apart too easily though

13. NotRite²

NotRite²

I thought thats what the duct tape was for!

LOL!!!

14. Derrick

Derrick

I think you should just buy a half decent case with power supply included, then slap the board n ram in it . I guess you wouldn't be upgrading then huh!, more like building from scratch, probably the best way to go.(y)

15. dannyboyfx

the last thing i need is a case. This is the perfect one. easy to change around, unimited abilities, and a pain in the butt to move.
    I really dont need a 4000W power supply though just a little 250-300w would do fine and allow for all the 4yr old upgrades i will be makind in the future. Found some money the other day, so i think i may be able to spend somewhere in the $120 range for everything.

16. zeddy

zeddy

i think you should post what you want the PC for and what your budget is and then you will get some sensible suggestions................your budget so far will not get you the upgrade you want.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/197911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice