1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading to a New Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ianko66, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ianko66

ianko66 Thread Starter

2. Markgg88

Markgg88

Your Motherboard has one PCI-E slot so the card will fit in there. However, I personally wouldn't recommend installing the card before checking what PSU you have. OEM systems generally use lower quality PSU's, so replacing it would be a good move anyway.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. Markgg88

Markgg88

@captainron276: FYI, Ultra are not a good quality brand as outlined by their prices and the 1 year warranty and I've seen them fail sooner than expected. Just something to keep in mind.

5. ianko66

ianko66 Thread Starter

As with what Mark said, looking at what I could find about my psu, it's a cheap generic unit that only puts out 300W. I guess I'll be shopping for a new psu now as well.

What kind of system requirements stand for those?

6. adrianr2z

adrianr2z

What do you mean system requirements? What type of system requirements you need to be able to run the psu or graphics card? Cause if you mean about the PSU, than you really don't need anything specific to be able to run a PSU.

7. ianko66

ianko66 Thread Starter

The graphics card has minimum system requirements, I wasn't sure if a psu did as well.

Not getting off track, with a new psu, I should have no problem running this, right?

8. Markgg88

Markgg88

If you get a good quality PSU you'll be fine. I think you can get by with 450W but I personally would want 550W to be on the safe side. Good quality PSU's would be Corsair-XFX and SeaSonic. Other decent brands are OCZ and PC Power and Cooling(also owned by OCZ)

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Markgg88,
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information; but my PSU has a Lifetime warranty. And since when did buying something on sale make it no good? Corsair and OCZ have sales too. Best to read all information before condemning a brand.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've got a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS PCI-E 512 MB video card in a Compaq Presario SR5450F desktop with a 250-watt power supply, and it works fine.

Unless you're planning to do gaming or something else that's going to put a load on the video card and power supply, you may be okay with that 300-watt power supply.

All you can do is try.

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Markgg88

Markgg88

My mistake, I remember seeing somewhere that they offer 1 year warranty, I maybe thinking of another brand. However I still stand by my statement that they are not a good quality brand.

12. ianko66

ianko66 Thread Starter

I am planning to do some heavy gaming. I also was thinking of picking up 2 more sticks of ram as well because I compose music on this computer and its starting to lag quite a bit.

I think it will be beneficial for me to get a new power supply, especially if the card is free.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!