1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading to AMD, got some ?'s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andymodem, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andymodem

andymodem Thread Starter

The current setup i have is a Dell Pentium 2 450, i want to replace the motherboard with one that has an AMD XP processor. i dont know what size my mother board is ( AT, ATX, etc) i'm not sure what i have and i don't want to get the wrong thing. Any reccomendations as to brand of board, this isn't gonna be some extreme game machine, so i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on it. I was thinkin of the XP 2000+ chip. Anyone know any good websites to order this stuff from? Thanks alot in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

Word of warning, you better check out. Dell motherboards are generally proprietary along with their cases. I doubt a normal ATX board will fit in the case and have i/o's line up correctly.
    Your going to need a new power supply for sure, you might as well go with a new case/power supply AMD certified

3. andymodem

andymodem Thread Starter

damn dell, thanks for the info

btw brian, where in minnesota are u from, i'm from eagan, stuck at work right now at 3m

4. brianF

brianF

Moundsview, northern suburb

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Also, your old ram will not work in an athlon, so you will also need new ram.

I have bought stuff from www.tigerdirect.com in the past. They have a nice Soyo Dragon motherboard kit plus other various kits.

6. max 8

max 8

You can get the Epox 8k3a mobo (The best overclocking mobo
    there is) for around $105 (w/ S&H) and a AMD Athlon XP1700+
    (1647mhz) cpu for $100 (w/ S&H) and start from there.
    The XP2000+ cpu (1670mhz) right now sells for around $185.

All these prices are from www.pricewatch.com

I would suggest the XP1700+ and overclock it to 1650mhz and you'll have the same speed as the XP2000+ and save $80.

You'll have to upgrade your memory to DDR.

7. andymodem

andymodem Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for all the info, next thing to do i guess is make up a list of everything, and start ordering. :D

8. stnwerks

stnwerks

Andy,
    Thought I'd drop in my 2cents Date: Fri, http://www.newegg.com/
    Good prices fast shipping and member BBB.
    have a great day Steve

9. andymodem

andymodem Thread Starter

Already been loooking there :) Thanks.

BTW, i'm running Windows XP Corporate, when i get all this stuff, can i just hook it all up and turn on the machine with out having to reinstall windows and all my other garbage on there, or would it be better to do a clean reinstall?

10. Light Engineer

Light Engineer

I just upgraded my motherboard, processor and memory and bought everything from www.mwave.com. All the vendor sites gave them really high marks and I was completely satisfied. Look at the barebone systems and motherboard combos (board, chip, memory).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!