1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading to new computer need advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by areszues92, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. areszues92

areszues92 Thread Starter

I'm upgrading to a new computer.All my games are in a HDD in my old computer, some of the games i wanna keep are D2D and i deleted the installation files to save space, now when i switch to the new system(I'll be getting new HDD), how am i going to play the games with my new computer?I thought of using eSata to transfer the games and save files, but there are still other files in c drive when games are installed right?i.e registry.

2. areszues92

Anyone??

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to reinstall everything. If you deleted the install files, you'll need to buy them or download them again.

4. areszues92

Can't i just transfer the games and save files and play?

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

You could just do a clone the whole hard drive onto the new hard drive. That is if you don't mind dealing with loads of drivers and also using the same operating system you already have.

Jack-O-Bytes

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, they can't. The poster is getting a new computer. You can't clone a drive for a new system. The OS isn't licensed, won't boot, and the drivers won't work.

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Ahhhh I didn't think that was a problem. I mean I knew you could just remove the drivers and install the new ones. They make things very difficult don't they microsoft.

Jack-O-Bytes

8. Lil Chris

Lil Chris

If your buying a whole new computer complete with OS, Save all the game saves for the games you play and copy them onto a usb drive. Reinstall the games on your new computer and load the save files into the same folders you copied them from,You loose nothing that way.Or you could use windows file backup program to reansfer the files from one machine to the other.

I have just built a new sandy bridge machine, I replaced the mb & cpu & memory,prior to turning it off I uninstalled all the drivers. I then built the new machine and connected up,I didnt reinstall windows 7,on bootup I then installed the correct drivers from the support CD for the new motherboard. I'm now up and running all the games and files still intact. I did after reactivate my legal copy of Windows 7 with microsoft,1 telephone call later OK. Because as far as microsoft is concerned its a new computer,which it more or less is.

9. areszues92

Oh i forgot, I'm using Win 7 32-bit and I'm gonna get 4Gb of ram so i can't reuse the OS.Hmm,how about if I boot up the new HDD and set the old HDD as the 2nd bootable device, the problem is I'll have two Win 7's in two separate HDDs

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't boot from the old drive. The operating system is not licensed for the new computer.

11. areszues92

Even if it's the secondary drive?

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's irrelevant. You cannot boot from a hard drive that has an operating system licensed for another computer. It's illegal and technically impossible (or incredibly difficult). It doesn't matter if it's the 20th drive. There's no magic in the order of the drives, and SATA doesn't even have primary and secondary. It's a legacy concept.

13. Lil Chris

Lil Chris

Not Quite correct. Like I have stated in my earlier post( #8) ,I have just rebuilt my computer new mb & cpu and booted from the same hardrive into windows 7 without a reinstall. As soon as I connected to the internet my copy wanted to reactivate which I did,It couldn't activate online but gave me the number to connect by telephone to microsoft to reactivate.Obviously my computer is built with all the same components apart from the motherboard & cpu and Windows realised that. As long as you are running a legal copy this is not a problem, dont try it with a OEM version though it wont work thats tied to the motherboard its installed with. I had a motheboard fail on me that was tied to a oem version and couldnt get the same mb,there again a phone call to microsoft and they helped me transfer the licence.Thats why I stay away from oem's now bought the full version of windows 7 for a good pre order price but thats another story.

14. areszues92

Hmm, guess i have no choice but to try my luck if i can transfer the games and the save files and play like normal, if i can't then I'll just have to reinstall.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    luck wont help here , copying the games will not install them

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice