1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading to play dvds

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hays, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hays

hays Thread Starter

If possible, I want to upgrade the PC in my office to be able to play DVD films. Otherwise, I need to ask my department head for a new computer.
    My current system is a 33 MHz Pentium with 16 MB RAM, a 1-GB hard drive, and a 12X CD-ROM drive. I currently run Windows 95 but could upgrade to Windows 98 if that would be desirable.
    Could you please tell me whether my PC can be upgraded to play DVDs? What is involved and approximately what would it cost?

can someone help?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I hope this is a joke.

You'll need a LOT more computer to play DVD's. Ask for the new computer. Oh, and I'm going to move this to MultiMedia, it's not a tip, it's a question. :)

3. lister

lister

I'm just wondering how you get any work done!

I'm sure your workflow is much slower than it could be if you were using a semi-decent machine.

As for playing DVDs, your requirements are - More Powerful/Faster processor, more RAM, bigger HDD, DVD-ROM and probably a newer OS, though some older DVD-ROM can run on Win95, you would probably have to get it 2nd hand.

4. JohnWill

That's the recipe for a new machine. :D

5. accat13

accat13

WoW your company must be on the leading edge of technology :eek: This must be a joke from the IT department..Designed to see how long it will take you to ask for a new PC...There could even be an office pool to see how long it takes:D ..But seriously that Pc is a poor excuse for a boat anchor.Think of the productivity loss.....

6. JohnWill

I suspect this was just a hit-n-run clown, nobody is that behind the times. :rolleyes:

I'm going to close this pointless thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice