1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading to the right video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acdevera, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acdevera

acdevera Thread Starter

Hi,
    I currently have a 32 mb Nvidia riva tnt2 installed in AGP slot. my AGP slot support 2x/4x. What type of video card can I install, because some games require higher memory like 64mb etc.?
    I have Windows XP Pro P4 SP1 512 RAM. Any advise is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. bigbear

bigbear

Mobo details would help!

3. brite750

brite750

go to newegg and do a search in gfx cards under 2x/4x dont expect much, you may be able to get a fx5200-128 mb ram something equal in an ATI product

4. Rukee

Rukee Banned

the best card you could put in there would be a 6800 AGP card. It runs at 8x AGP but it would still work as long as the AGP voltage was the same as yours, it`d be overkill for your motherboard chipset but would be good if you disside later to upgrade the rest of the platform. A 6600GT card would be an excellent card as well, I would not buy any lower end cards if you wanna game with it.
    However, I did do alot of benchmarking a while back comparing adding diffrent video cards to diffrent motherboard platforms and I could prove that a whole platform upgrade and a mid range video card would gain more then a 6800 ultra card in an old motherboard.

5. brite750

brite750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=48&Submit=Property

really slim pickins for the 2x/4x cards, if you can use a 4x/8x card that would really help, but i'm not sure about that one either

6. acdevera

acdevera Thread Starter

Thanks for your info.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!