Upgrading to Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MercZire

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
53
What kind of issues am I looking at for upgrading from XP to Vista?

I'm probably going to sometime today, and I'd like to prepare installers and such for programs that have different versions for Vista and XP, y'know?

By "upgrading", I mean using the upgrade option in the Vista installer, so I don't have to reformat.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
437
When I upgraded to Vista Business, I did a "clean install" and I haven't had any problems.

Have you tested to see if your XP meets the needed requirements?
 

MercZire

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
53
Jacee said:
When I upgraded to Vista Business, I did a "clean install" and I haven't had any problems.

Have you tested to see if your XP meets the needed requirements?
You mean the hardware requirements? Yes.

I'm upgrading specifically for DirectX10 for Hellgate: London and Gears of War and such.
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
11
(Slightly off topic)

To MercZire,

I have upgraded to vista (long story) and just to tell you, that if you have a macho-enough graphics card and processor, then Dx10 is all its cracked up to be. Its well worth upgrading. Many people say there are too many problems with vista, but in my view, any faults vista has are far outwieghed by the stunning effects of Dx10. When you make the journey to Vista, its worth trying out 'World in Conflict' and 'Company of Heroes', both of which are high calibre Dx10 games with awesome visuals. I personally cannot wait for the upcomming 'Crysis'! (16/11/07)

Sorry this was off topic, and hope it didn't sound too cheesy.

Vista is well worth the upgrade!

Gormless_Git
 

MercZire

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
53
Gormless_Git said:
(Slightly off topic)

To MercZire,

I have upgraded to vista (long story) and just to tell you, that if you have a macho-enough graphics card and processor, then Dx10 is all its cracked up to be. Its well worth upgrading. Many people say there are too many problems with vista, but in my view, any faults vista has are far outwieghed by the stunning effects of Dx10. When you make the journey to Vista, its worth trying out 'World in Conflict' and 'Company of Heroes', both of which are high calibre Dx10 games with awesome visuals. I personally cannot wait for the upcomming 'Crysis'! (16/11/07)

Sorry this was off topic, and hope it didn't sound too cheesy.

Vista is well worth the upgrade!

Gormless_Git
Thank you very much. I needed feedback from another gamer. I guess I'll be dedicating today to upgrading to Vista...

By the way, Jacee, what are you talking about a clean install? I have the non-upgrade Vista Ultimate. I got it free because of my college's software licensing thingy, and the reason I'm gonna do an upgrade is because I have too much ****, and no second HDD with which to back things up to reformat.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
437
Are you going to dual boot, or were you thinking of an over the top install with Vista?
 

MercZire

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
53
Jacee said:
Are you going to dual boot, or were you thinking of an over the top install with Vista?
An upgrade install. The dual-boot's outta the question now because I don't want to have to reinstall all my DX10 games on a second partition.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
106
Absolutely do a clean install, avoid the problems so many people have. If Vista is an upgrade you probably will have to install it twice to do a clean install. For the first install do not enter the product code, after the install completes put Vista back in and reinstall entering the "key" and opting for a clen install when asked, it works.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Top