1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading to win 10 & would like better video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I currently have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 MB and have an ati radeon HD 4000 video card. What would be a better one to run?
    Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard

It has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot for adding a graphics card.

It has driver support for Windows XP and Vista and 7, but not for Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

A lot depends on how you plan to use that computer and what power supply it has.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I mistakenly said I have the ati 4000, but it is only the 3000. I don't do any gaming. I do some photo editing and things like that. I already have windows 10 downloaded to my computer but haven't decided to install it til I know more about it. Here is what I am currently running....The aforementioned motherboard with Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. AMD FX 4130 quad core CPU with 4 gigs RAM. I have a Corsair 550 W PSU and a 1T Seagate HD. What would I need to upgrade for windows 10? I'm thinking it will probably need more memory.
    Thanks for your answer.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a fan of ATI/AMD graphics cards, so I can't recommend one.

I would add another 4 GB of RAM to the 4 GB currently in it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I knew I needed more RAM, just wasn't sure how much. Is there another graphics card you would recommend?
    thanks

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The GeForce GT 720 2 GB graphics card is what I use in my Dell desktops.

It's fanless and uses only 19 watts and has a good benchmark score.

It's a PCI Express 2.0 x8 instead of a PCI Express 2.0 x16, so it's shorter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. thewoodworker

thewoodworker

I assume that you have down loaded and run Windows Upgrade Assistant. If you have not, you should. It will tell you what Microsoft believes your computer needs to run W10 successfully.

If you do install Windows 10 and do not like the results, the installation provides you with the option to back out to your previous configuration (W7). Be aware, however, that there have been some reports of this not being totally successful and that some data files are lost.

I have done it (twice) and lost nothing. I am now waiting for a while to allow Microsoft to repair all of the early bugs. I'll install Windows 10 later (months later).

I too am running a MOBO that supports PCI Exress. I recently installed a GeForce 8400GS graphics card as a low cost resolution to a graphics short coming pointed out by the Microsoft Upgrade Assistant. It is a low end graphics card but I am not a gamer or a photographer so I do not need extreme graphics. I have a pair of HP20121 monitors that I run as dual monitors.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 132848 MB, Free - 83728 MB; F: Total - 10235 MB, Free - 4306 MB;
    Motherboard: EPoX COMPUTER CO., LTD, MCP61S DDR2: AGF6110-M Series
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!