Upgrading to Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sayounara

Hey guys,

I decided to upgrade my computer to windows 10 but I don´t owe an active windows 7,8 or 8.1 key right now. Though I consider about buying an "old" unused windows 7 Key to upgrade to Windows 10.

My Question is: Am I still able to upgrade to windows 10 with a valid windows 7 key?, or is it not possible to convert the windows 7 key to a windows 10 key anymore? ^^

And if I´d do so, does buying an OEM key have a "negative influence" on my System? :)

Greetings Sayounara

It's too late to do the free upgrade - it lasted for a year and its now over.

OEM copies are strictly speaking meant for computer shops that sell a PC. But most people use it anyways. There is a down side, and that is you can only ever use that copy of WIndows on one machine. A normal retail copy of Windows allows you to re-install it onto another machine.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the brand name and model name and model number of your computer?
What Windows version did it come with and is currently running?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Technically the upgrade period is over however Microsoft has not disabled the option to install and activate Windows 10 with a valid Windows 7 or 8 key.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Yep.
I've done a clean install of Windows 10 a number of times in Windows 7 computers, and it automatically activated.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts