Upgrading to Windows 7 and a Recovery HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gawain

My computer is an HP Pavilion a6345f which has a C and D HDDs. As I understand it, the the latter allows me to restore factory programs and settings in the event that something goes seriously wrong with the C HDD.

If I were to upgrade to Windows 7 either via a purchased download or a cd, it makes sense to me to upgrade what's on the D HDD with the newer OS so that possible future problems with the C drive could be remedied with the new OS.

How would I go about that? Install the upgrade on the the C drive and then the D or is there some other way of doing this?

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you have created a set of Recovery CDs/DVDs. After you make any change to the boot manager (which is a special HP one) you will no longer be able to boot directly to the Recovery partition. Even if you have no intention of going back to XP or Vista this is cheap insurance for the possibility you'll change your mind.

After you upgrade to Windows 7, assuming you use a "discounted" "Upgrade" version, I think that Microsoft's official re-installation method is to install (or Recover) your original XP or Vista system and then again upgrade to Windows 7. That's a ridiculous procedure, but irregardless there is no way of modifying your Recovery partition. Not unless HP agrees to do so.

Gawain

Thanks, Terrynet. I have the recovery discs for Vista and I plan to contact HP about the possibility of updating the D HDD. If anything comes of my inquiry, I'll post it here.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You will need to buy the Windows 7 DVDs from HP to get the recover partition to work with that OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online