1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by johnsorrick, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnsorrick

johnsorrick Thread Starter

So here's the deal: I want to upgrade my compuer to Windows 7 again and need a little help. I was experiencing some problems after applying Windows 7 as an upgrade rather than a clean install, so I went back to Vista and can't stand it any longer, so I want to upgrade to Windows 7 again, only using a clean install this time. My question is about drivers. I do not have a driver recovery disk, so I'm going to download all the drivers I need from HP's website, but do I download the Vista drivers since that's what my computer came with, or Windows 7 drivers since that's what I'm upgrading to? Here are the two links I'm looking at, can someone please tell me which one to download? Thank you.

John

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3686668

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3686668

2. joeten

joeten

Hi your second link looks like something for blueray not a full driver download

3. johnsorrick

So should I follow the first link and download each one to save it to my USB drive, that way I can install all of them after Windows 7 installs? Also, is there anything else that I'm missing that may be vital for Windows 7 to operate?

I'm already aware of updating the BIOS prior to installing Windows 7.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You get whatever Windows 7 drivers HP has made available (just that one?) and use the Vista drivers for everything else.

5. johnsorrick

That's the only driver that I have found for Windows 7 that corresponds to my particular model computer. Unless there's another site or scanning software that I can use to find more.

So to make sure I got this right:
    Use all of the Windows Vista drivers that are on the HP site
    Install the one driver for Windows 7 from the HP site

Is there anything else that I need? Such as basic application software that usually comes pre-installed, or does the Windows 7 Operating System do that for me?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I did similar to what you are about to do (but with 32-bit). I downloaded and installed HP's WLAN manager, but nothing else of HP's bloatware that came pre-installed with Vista originally.

What do you mean by "basic application software" (examples OK)?

7. johnsorrick

By basic software I mean stuff like the Accessories (Notepad, Paint, System Tools such as Cleanup, Defrag, System Restore) under the Start Menu, Administrative tools, etc. Also, Windows Media Player (I thought that came with the OS, but not sure).

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep, those are all included with Windows. :)

9. johnsorrick

Ok, thank you, I think I have all the info that I need in order to do this. I'll go ahead and download the HP WLAN Manager as well, and then all the Vista drivers and the one Windows 7 driver from HP's website and put it all on my USB drive to install once Windows 7 is installed. Thank you for your help.

John

10. johnsorrick

One more question: I've already made Recovery Discs for the default Windows Vista that came with my computer, so I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, but will doing this wipe out the recovery partition that is already on my computer? I'm referring to the FACTORY_IMAGE (D) Drive.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the upgrade to Windows 7 didn't destroy the ability to boot directly into the Recovery partition then the custom (clean) install will. But, unless you deliberately wipe out the Recovery partition it will still be there. You can get into it by booting to your Recovery disk, and then it will give you the option of continuing with the DVDs/CDs or using the Recovery partition.

I decided to delete my Recovery Partition and just rely on the DVD set, but don't do that just because I did. I never expect to "Recover" to Vista anyhow.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice