1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading to Windows XP Failure

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jeanmor, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeanmor

jeanmor Thread Starter

:confused: About a year ago I attempted to upgrade windows 98 to Windows xp. Somewhere along the line, it thought i entered a password to start up. (It's possible I blacked out and did this??) So, I had the xp on but when I later tried to log on, i couldn't because..no password. I could not discover one after using all my password-creating formulas. I was told (by more than one person at microsoft support) i had no alternative but to wipe out my hard drive and return to windows 98. So i did and have been too aggravated to get another Win xp upgrade. But it's time for a change and i would like to be able to use the one i have. Anybody, help?

2. brianF

brianF

If you have the cd you should be able to run the install the same as the first time. If you formatted any trace of the first install it gone. Just remember the password this time :p

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't bother with an upgrade, they never work flawlessly with a operating that has been used for a while. Wipe the drive clean with a format before starting the upgrade and then insert the Windows 98 CD when it looks for the previous O/D or during the XP install have it reformat the partition and go with a fresh install of XP. Upgrades bring all sorts of problems whereas a clean install gives you a clean and stable new start.

4. Katzy

Katzy

What Triple6 said.

It's the only way.

5. i hate ram

i hate ram

yeah, i did the exact same thing that t6 has suggested, and my system works awesome

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice