1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading to XP.. what should I know?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by holy_saiyan1, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1 Thread Starter

Are there any important things I should know before getting my new Windows XP computer, especially security- or virus-wise? It seems that every new virus is made for XP, and that XP gets the lion's share of the security holes, so I'm a little daunted by moving up from my old Windows 98 computer, but otherwise excited about getting a great new computer for a good deal :)

My New Computer...
    Processor:
    AMD Sempron 2200+
    1.5 Ghz, 333Mhz Front Side Bus, 128k L1/256k L2 Cache

Memory (RAM):
    256 Megabytes PC2700(DDR333)
    2.7 Gigabits Data Throughput

Storage:
    40 GB Hard Drive
    2 MB Cache, 7200 RPM, UDMA-100, Read-Seek 8.9m
    3.5" Floppy Drive
    52x/32x/52x CD-RW Drive

Expansion:
    2 External 5.25" Bays - 1 Available
    2 External 3.5" Bays - 1 Available
    PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Ports
    4 USB 2.0 Ports, 2 Front - 2 Back
    1 Serial Port, 1 Parallel Port
    Line Out, Line In, Microphone Ports
    3 Internal PCI Slots - 2 Available
    1 AGP 3.0 (8x) Slot Available

Multimedia:
    Integrated 6 Channel Surround Sound
    S3 Graphics w/ 32MB Shared Memory

Connectivity:
    v.92 56k WinModem
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Peripherals:
    None Included

^__^

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Be absolutely sure you have a firewall running prior to the first time you connect to the internet . . either the XP one or the third-party that is likely to come on the new pc. If you are behind a router, this is less of an issue, but still important. Update the Antiviurs first thing.

This is proving to be a good software to prefent spyware and trojans. You might want to download it now and burn to CD to install when you get the new one.

Enjoy the new machine . . if you want to transfer your old files and settings to the new pc, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media.

This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

And . . the additional security in XP SP2 is head and shoulders better than anything you had in Win98.

wrs

3. xgerryx

xgerryx

Main thing is to make sure your firewall is turned on and you have an AV installed and kept up to date. Windows updates are also really quite important with xp.

You will probably find your new puter a bit like a new car with a lot more power and it will take a little bit of getting used to but you will never look back.

Once you have had it for a while and feel comfortable it would be a good idea to install adaware, spybot and spywareblaster. These combined with xps own firewall and an AV of your choice provide good basic security.

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

Looks like I should learn to type faster. Simpswr has beaten me to it.

5. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Make sure all your hardware is compatible with XP. When I upgraded my scanner wasn't supported and the mfg. wasn't able to offer drivers so I tossed it and ended up buying a new one. Here is a Microsoft site I think you should look at before installing. (Just my opinion.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

Hey Wimpy
    I think holy_saiyan1 is actually upgrading to a complete new computer rather than just upgrading an OS.

7. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1 Thread Starter

thanks, everyone. what i was planning on doing was installing an older version of ZoneAlarm that I had a friend burn onto CD for me about a year ago, and use that to protect me until i get the newest version downloaded (probably about an hour after i get online). but probably first on my to-download list is Mozilla Firefox, so I can do the whole tabbed-browsing deal and get more done that way.

i don't expect to have everything in place until maybe Saturday night (i get the new computer on Monday), maybe later if you count in getting SP2 (if it needs it).

btw, i should have been more clearer. yes, I am replacing my computer. this old thing probably can't even handle Win XP, i've had it for about 2 or 3 years, and i don't know how long the previous owner had it before it got reconditioned, so it's pretty much a dinosaur in its own right

8. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy holy saiyan1,
    It might be worth having a look in yr local newsagents and getting an up-to-date Computer mag with CD to get a better copy of Zone Alarm ASAP, as well as being able to install your spyblaster to immunize your computer against malware sites, and probabley your AdAware SE and Spybot on it also. My fave is PC User.....handy for exc. programmes at a reasonable price.
    Lucky you for new puter, mine has been updated and is an AMD 2400xp.Once you get the hang of it, XP has heaps of friendly wizards to help you along.

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Woopsie.... Then I say just do it. Ain't going to be a problem. Sorry about my confusion.

10. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Using Firefox is great . I have it myself . Just remember that you will have to switch back to Internet Explorer to get Microsoft Updates and to access some security sites .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice