Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading Triple Channel Ram

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ccube 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA X58 3X SLI LE Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module
NETWORK: Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium(64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supply
SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card

I've got a decent computer for gaming, and I was wondering if I can upgrade my RAM.
Now, I've got the Kingston HyperX DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel, meaning I have 3x-2g Ram Cards. I was hoping on upgrading this to 12GB, by adding another Triple Channel to it.
Same brand, same voltage, same company, and to add, there's another 3 slots for it.
The problem that I'm worried about, can my motherboard hold 12 gigs of ram? Can my computer utilize TWO different triple channels? Will it still run in triple channel?

I understand as much that the channels work like this

-Ram Card(Triple Channel #1)
-Empty-

-Ram Card(Triple Channel#1)
-Empty-

-Ram Card(Triple Channel#1)
-Empty

If I were to add an additional Triple Channel(#2), into those empty slots, it would still work yes?

Thanks for your time.

--Edit--
Heres some additional information for you guys, when we're talking about RAM, usually your computer runs in a single channel module.
Which means that your motherboard has only one path it can take to access your memory. In a triple channel, it will utilize the 6 gigs, and give it three different channels, making it three times as efficient.
For example, if you have 3, 2 gigabyte ram cards, in a single channel, they will each have a single ''passage way''. When you have Triple Channel, you've effectively multiplied the amount of passage ways your motherboard can get to your memory, thus granting it 9 different ways altogether.

Adding a second triple channel, is the tricky part. I haven't read anywhere about how to do this, or if it has any conflicting problems. And it is understandable that there might not be a reply for days. ._.

See less See more
#4 ·
going for days without an answer, the man falls on the cold hard pavement. the man crawls on his broken and battered knees, waiting for the answering light. he musters up all of his strength and gives the dull gray tower a final shove.

*the tower leans ominously at a dangerous angle, seemingly wanting to topple over*

#5 ·
I have never worked with triple channel ram before but as long as you have all 6 slots filled with the sme ram I do not see why it also will not work in triple channel. Whether it would be a separate triple channel from the otherr, I could not say.

#6 ·
Your understanding of memory channels is a little off. Using your example, it should look like:

-2GB Ram Card(Channel #1)
-Empty-(Channel #1)

-2GB Ram Card(Channel #2)
-Empty-(Channel #2)

-2GB Ram Card(Channel #3)
-Empty-(Channel #3)

So, your current setup has three channels, with access to 2GB per channel. Adding 3x2GB sticks will mean that each channel will have access to 4GB.
Here is Kingstons explanation of how it works.
As your mobo has the X58 chipset, you can fit up to 24GB, 6x4GB sticks.

The big question though is why do want to add RAM?
6GB should offer more than enough headroom, unless you're doing some heavy-duty video editing or 3D modelling.
Looking at your specs, upgrading your GTX275 would be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.