1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading video card in refurbished pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bryosgirl, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryosgirl

bryosgirl Thread Starter

I purchased a refurbished pc over a year ago that has so far worked out great. It gets alot of heavy video game usage, so I want to upgrade the video card to a GeForce. However, I don't know if it will be possible with my current hardware. Is this at all feasible? I don't know much about hardware, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've included the system and display information from the DxDiag report below.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion p6213w desktop - which you should add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it whenever needed.

According to its product specifications section, the motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a video card.

The power supply is listed as a 250 watt model, so that's going to be your bottleneck and limiting factor as to how powerful a video card you can add.

If you stick with a GeForce model with a heatsink instead of a cooling fan and with no more than 512 MB of video memory, you may be okay.

I installed a GeForce 512 MB video card in my desktop a few months ago, and it's working fine with the original 250 watt power supply, however I haven't subjected it to gaming or any other kind of graphic load.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!