1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocparis, Nov 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

... I have a Alienware Aurora R4 computer running windows 7 ... the current video card is a GeForce GTX 660 ... I think it may be a 6 pin connection ... I was thinking of replacing it with a newer card ... I was wondering if the
    ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 AMP 6GB GDDR6 192-bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, IceStorm 2.0, ZT-T20600D-10M
    I think this needs an 8 pin connection
    would fit in the Aurora R4 tower.
    thanks

2. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

... it has a Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz with 8 gigs of RAM ... It has a 800 watt + ... power supply if I remember correctly (if that's possible ... sorry not very tech savvy)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does that system have a uefi or legacy bios?

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yes....with no problems. You should be able to go with a full size GPU as well. I would recommend EVGA as a brand as they use better quality hardware.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If that system has a legacy bios, there is a VERY good chance the card will not work. Some cards include a legacy switch however that really is hit and miss.

6. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

not sure ... when I run ... msinfo32 ... and check the system summary this is all I see ..................... SMBIOS Version 2.7

7. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

... ok .... I will check it out and thanks .... appreciate the help

8. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

not sure ... when I run ... msinfo32 ... and check the system summary this is all I see ..................... SMBIOS Version 2.7

9. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

would the ...
    EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Ultra Black Gaming, 06G-P4-2163-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans
    ... work with the CPU I currently have ....................... Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty simple to tell; which pic looks like your bios? A uefi type bios can be run in legacy mode however if you have a uefi, then you should be able to use the card. If not, I would not purchase any card newer than a 7xx series.

Attached Files:

11. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

It looks like the second pic .... (with the blue screen) ... I guess it's a no go then .... Well I thank you for the info .... that was a great help

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can try and find a card that includes a legacy switch OR sometimes the motherboard mfg will have a bios update that will allow the card to run. If you had an asus, gigabyte, etc motherboard, you would have a better chance. Dell has no vested interest in you upgrading your system; they would much rather sell you a new system.
    You can do more research however [if it were me] I would not take the chance. A 2060 or 2070 card is pretty expensive and you may end up with it not working.

13. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

True ... I will check out a few things ... but I think you are right .... probably time to update to a new computer ... thanks for the help.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO much better to build a system than to purchase an alienware.

15. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

Yes ... you're right !!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice