1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocparis, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I've never heard of that, not to say that it's not true. That said, I'm running a old mobo with legacy BIOS with DDR2 RAM and using a EVGA 1060 3Gb with out any issue at all. My GPU doesn't have a legacy/UEFI switch on it that I'm aware of or in it's software.

2. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

... So do you think my computer would be able to handle this graphic card?

3. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

or maybe the ...............
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC Ultra Black Gaming, 06G-P4-1265-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans
    would be a better option than the ...
    EVGA GeForce RTX 2060

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, it is hit and miss; the 10xx cards and above need a uefi bios unless the card mfg puts in a legacy switch. Same thing with the amd cards; the 4xx cards and above need the uefi bios. I have a 570 card installed in my test system and it has the legacy switch however I do not need it since the mb has a uefi bios.

Sometimes the motherboard mfg will release a bios update that will allow the card to work on old hardware; again hit and miss and I would NOT expect dell to release a bios just to support a video card.
    Sometimes this is an actual switch and other cards use a jumper.

You can purchase the card and give it a try. If you had an asus or similar type board, there would be a good chance [with the latest bios] that it would work. With a dell, not so much.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. rocparis

rocparis Thread Starter

OK ... got it .... Thanks again for taking the time ... it's been well appreciated

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice