1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Video Card

Discussion in 'Games' started by themeat, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

Ok, so I have a 256mb Radeon 9200, and frankly, I'm not happy with compatibility with Direct X 9.0b etc and I want to upgrade it. I found on a website for a store near me an ASUS AGP RADEON 9600SE 128MB 8X DVI for $119, and I'm thinking that sounds like a good deal, especially if I can trade in my old graphics card, but I want your opinion.

Is this a better card, and will I get better performance/compatibility etc with games? I'm mainly wanting it for Far Cry, Doom3 and Rome: Total War which have all been assaulting me with video glitches and sub par performance because of the incompatiblities with Direct X 9.0b.

So yeah, opinions please.:)

2. Topato

Topato

Your better going with the 9600xt or 9600. The 9600se is not worth the money as its much slower. Anyway, I upgraded from 9200 to a 9600 and games like doom3, farcry, and halo look and run better. They also take advantage of the new pixel shaders so everything looks alot more uhhhh.... Shadyer.. I guess.

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

I agree with Topato on this one. I have a ATI 9600 pro and it is a great card. The SE models are simply an entry level cheap card with limited features and I could never recommend them for the games you are playing.

4. Tranquility

Tranquility

9800 Pro cards are amazing and they're going very cheap.

5. Topato

Topato

$200 cheap....

6. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

$200 US cheap. I decided in the end that it's all too expensive for me. I'm not a huge gamer anyway, so it's probably better to spare myself the cost, and save up for something more worthwhile.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Simply try for the best card you can afford.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice