1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matticus04, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matticus04

Matticus04 Thread Starter

I currently have a radeon x1600 pro (512mb edition)
    My mother board is crossfire ready so I could purchase another x1600pro for around $120.
    Would it be worth it to go with a crossfire setup or just buy a new top of the line video card for $300?

I ask because I am getting 15-20 fps playing age of conan. How much of a performance increase would I see with Crossfire?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

x1600 as I remember requires a master card which usually cost a few bucks more.

I think you would be better off either with crossfire and a x1900 or getting a new HD3750.

3. Matticus04

Matticus04 Thread Starter

from what I have been told at local computer stores is if I do buy a better card for crossfire setup (as you stated x1900) that it would only be as fast as the slower card so it would be wasted money?

I have no idea about needing a master card for the x1600 series

4. Compiler

Compiler

The X1600 are fairly slow cards... (about the same as a GF7600gs/GT depending on type)

Getting another one will not help much... A single $120~130 ATI HD3850 is about 3-4 times faster than your current card.... or spend a bit more and get a GF9600GT ($125~150) or ATI HD3850 ($150~185) which is about 3-5 times faster than your current 1600.

Skip the Cross fire, sell your old card for $50.

Its reasons like this, that crossfire/SLI are not worth it more than half the time - and more so when its a "later add-on upgrade".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!