Solved Upgrading Windows 10 to Version 2004

brodie1600

I noticed an update was available for my OS after discovering some features in a game were unavailable for my current version of Windows 10 Home (version 1909). When I click "Check for updates", it says I'm up to date, but I see right below that that there's a feature update to version 2004 and that the "May 2020 update is on it's way". I attempted to manually update by first downloading the Windows 10 Update Assistant. Let me explain how it's been working from this point on:
  • Windows finishes the initial setup within the OS and reboots.
  • After rebooting, it begins to install the update - prompting me that my PC will reboot several times. It gets to about 25-30% and reboots the first time.
  • After it comes back, it continues installing and gets to about 50-60% and reboots again. It comes back to the same screen and continues installing until it reboots for a third time about 10 seconds later.
  • After this reboot, it does not return to me to the OS install screen, but instead reboots immediately after BIOS attempts to return to the install.
  • After this reboot, and immediately following the BIOS screen, it says at the bottom "Attempting to recover installation..." and reboots for the fifth time.
  • After this reboot, it displays "Attempting to recover installation..." for a brief moment, and then says "Undoing changes made to your computer..."
  • It reboots for a final time and returns me to my OS where, after logging in, it displays this error screen:

win10.PNG
I've tried running this setup from the Windows 10 Update Assistant AND the Media Creation Tool, both by running the .exe from the desktop and running it from a USB install. I'd like to do whatever I can to prevent having to do a clean install, as I'd like to keep everything on my drives.

I should also mention that the first time I tried to run this setup, before even rebooting, it prompted me that I would need to do a fresh install and that I could not keep my files and apps. I figured out this was due to my ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86) set to my D: HDD drive instead of my C: SSD drive which contains my OS. I changed this in regedit and I was able to make it through the initial setup. Not sure if that has anything to do with why I can't complete the update.

TSGinfo specs below (note I also have AVG AntiVirus installed alongside Spybot):
Code:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200428195657.000000-300
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (200 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (934 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Spybot - Search and Destroy, Enabled and Updated

crjdriver

In-place updates are sometimes problematic. At one time I had a company issued surface tablet that had to update itself at least 5 times before the feature update worked.
If you really really want to avoid a clean install [which IMO would be best] then do a few things prior to attempting the update again;
1 If the system is overclocked, remove any overclocking
2 Uninstall any software that may be conflicting ie AVG. Use only the microsoft defender. If you have something like voodoo shield running, either stop it OR just uninstall for now
3 Run sfc /scannow. Here is a link since this is a two step process;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Once done, attempt the update again. If it works, great. If it does not work, make an install usb using the media creation tool and clean install.

Couriant

James
From what I have read, it's possible that the error is occurring due to a device/driver incompatibility.

I would suggest making sure all your drivers are up to date, and disconnect any USB devices sans keyboard/mouse and try again.

brodie1600

Thanks for the responses. I removed CPU, RAM, and GPU overclocks. I also uninstalled AVG, Malwarebytes (which I failed to mention I also had installed), and Spybot. I ran DISM and sfc, and it detected an issue and fixed it. I also disabled all non-Microsoft services, disabled all startup programs, and disabled non-essential drivers. Additionally, I uninstalled my NVIDIA graphics driver.

Attempting the update again with the Windows 10 Update Assistant, I ran into the exact same problem. I attempted the update through the setup application on the USB install (created by the Media Creation Tool) and actually got a couple BSODs in the middle of the PC rebooting during setup.

The error code I got was PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and the error pointed to TPKD.sys. Looking this up online, it seems it's related to an Interlok driver and PACE Anti-Piracy. One of the programs I have installed is Pro Tools, and I think these programs and drivers are necessary to run Pro Tools. I'll attempt to disable and/or uninstall these programs/drivers and attempt the update again.

crjdriver

I would not waste too much time attempting to update. A clean install with drivers takes all of 40min or so; another hour to reinstall whatever programs you use and done.
I am sure you have already spent more than 2hr attempting the update.

brodie1600

This seems to have worked!

I uninstalled PACE Anti-Piracy and confirmed TPKD.sys was no longer in the system32/drivers folder. After running the update again through the Upgrade Tool, it completed successfully.

update.PNG

Thanks all for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online