1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upgrading Windows Vista to Windows7

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jimbodjango, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimbodjango

jimbodjango Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 1510 which I received with Windows Vista pre-installed. Now because of support issues I want to upgrade to Windows 7. I want to download Windows 7 straight onto the Laptop and not onto a DVD or USB stick. I'm not confident that I can do this without creating any problems. My question is , if I manage to download Windows 7 will it completely overwrite Windows Vista or will I end up with Windows 7 and Windows Vista still taking up memory space ?
    Regards
    Jimbo

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Advise us what the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number is on that Dell Vostro 1510 laptop.
    Once we get it correctly identified and determine what hardware came in it, we can help you better.

If you want to do a clean install of Windows 7 and completely remove Windows Vista from that laptop, you need to use a bootable DVD or bootable USB thumb drive that contains Windows 7.

Even if you're able to do a clean install of Windows 7 in that laptop, how do you intend to activate it afterwards?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. jimbodjango

jimbodjango Thread Starter

Service Tag. 26W244J. Express Service Code. 477-020-809-9. After downloading Windows7 I was going to buy a License.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Vostro 1510 laptop.

It shipped in December 2008 in the U.K. and came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit and came with this hardware and devices:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 1.80 GHz processor
    2 GB(1 GB X 2) DDR2-800 RAM
    250 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    Intel GM965 graphics
    Realtek ALC268 high definition audio
    Dell Wireless 1395 mini-card
    Realtek RTL8100C ethernet
    Alps touchpad
    I recommend installing Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit.
    Unfortunately, you're going to find it difficult to purchase any legitimate version of Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice