1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howegoff, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howegoff

howegoff Thread Starter

I just bought a game for my kids and it is more than my computer can handle. All the programs they used before (Fisher-Price, Disney kind of stuff) only needed maybe 5-20 MB of free space but this one needs 500 MB free space and 64 MB RAM. I went to look for different game for them but they all need 200-500 MB.
    What do I need to do to upgrade my computer? It is an AST Advantage 9402, 166 MHz, 32 MB EDO RAM. Do I just buy someting to put in or do I have to take it somewhere or do I need to buy a new computer??? Please help!

Thanks,
    Katrina

2. mtbird

mtbird

3. howegoff

howegoff Thread Starter

I dont really know if it is memory or disk space i am looking for or talking about. I am not even sure how to tell how much space I have available on my hard drive. If I go buy some of these software programs, how do i know before i buy if i can use it with what I have on my computer.
    Maybe i should just take my computer somewhere. I would kind of like to know a little first so I dont get something i dont really need or want.

any suggestions will be appreciated

katrina

4. brianF

brianF

If you go to the my computer icon and open it your hard drive or drives will be there, if you just select it with the mouse it should display the drive size and the amount free. You may have to select it and right click, select properties to view the information.
    The next thing will be what type of video card you have as newer games are demanding faster cards with more video memory onboard. It's a never ending cycle

But I will say that your machine is getting to the point the processor won't meet the minimum requirements soon. You may want to think about a new machine rather than spend more on the old, just an opinion. The older the kids get the more machine it takes to run the games they want. A lot of the newer games minimum requirements are higher than a 166 processor.

5. Norwalker

Norwalker

I have to agree with brian. Especially with the costs of a new CPU box these days, you can replace that with a much hardier machine for between 600 and 800 dollars. it is time to donate that machine, and replace it with a new one.

6. Vapor

Vapor

A system like yours will not support the graphic demanding and drive space hogging games of today. Typically a game that requires 500 megs of drive space demands at least a 300mhz pentium class processor just to run the game. And recommends a 500 mhz with 256mb of memory. And im not even talkin about the video card yet. Also your hard drive is probably only around 1.5 to 2 gigabyte so you wouldnt have enough space to load the game anyhow. I recommend you get a new pc. Considering how cheap pc's are now.

7. howegoff

howegoff Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will start looking around for a new one. Any other tips on things I should look for or avoid are welcome. Thanks Again.

Katrina

8. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

Katrina,
    If your kids are gamers, go to Dell.com or Gateway.com and check out the gamer PC's. They are hartier, than the normal home machines. You are looking for a PC with at least 1.3GHz processor, 128 MB of ram, 20GB HDD, 64MB video card, 17" monitor (not flat panel, unless you think it looks good), and a good sound card (ie: Creative Labs Soundblaster Live!). This is a slightly higher priced PC, but it will help you in the future when your kids want to play a different game. Rule of thumb: Gamer machines - the best, biggest, fastest, and smartest PC's needed. Office machines for email and documents - cheapest, with the best office software available.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!