1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

upload and download files from website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by jwildcat, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwildcat

jwildcat Thread Starter

I would like to develop a website that I can upload and download files to. I am new to web development and just need some starting points to look at. There may be a service, plugin, widget or whatever for doing this. Any recommendations would be helpful. This will be for industrial maintenance help.

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi and welcome to TSG jwildcat:)
    I have never developed a download facility but have successfully used this attractive upload package which is written in php and jQuery.
    Maybe if you contact the author Sebastian Tschan, he may have developed a download along the same attractive lines??

3. jwildcat

jwildcat Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check it out.

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    If you are going to allow uploads to your website you need to be very careful. You can open up your server to unscrupulous people who will compromise your server. Some things you should do are only allow certain file extensions, you need to change the file names to only something you know and you should move the files somewhere 'safe' on your server there are some other things that can help too. This can be very fraught and I advise a lot of reading before you implement anything like this.

5. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Colin is dead right about security - try to avoid calling any of your html, php or whatever "upload", "file-upload" or "file_upload", 'cos that is what malicious hackers crawl the web looking for.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice