upload and download files from website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jwildcat

I would like to develop a website that I can upload and download files to. I am new to web development and just need some starting points to look at. There may be a service, plugin, widget or whatever for doing this. Any recommendations would be helpful. This will be for industrial maintenance help.

JiminSA

Jim
Hi and welcome to TSG jwildcat:)
I have never developed a download facility but have successfully used this attractive upload package which is written in php and jQuery.
Maybe if you contact the author Sebastian Tschan, he may have developed a download along the same attractive lines??

colinsp

Colin
If you are going to allow uploads to your website you need to be very careful. You can open up your server to unscrupulous people who will compromise your server. Some things you should do are only allow certain file extensions, you need to change the file names to only something you know and you should move the files somewhere 'safe' on your server there are some other things that can help too. This can be very fraught and I advise a lot of reading before you implement anything like this.

JiminSA

Jim
If you are going to allow uploads to your website you need to be very careful. You can open up your server to unscrupulous people who will compromise your server. Some things you should do are only allow certain file extensions, you need to change the file names to only something you know and you should move the files somewhere 'safe' on your server there are some other things that can help too. This can be very fraught and I advise a lot of reading before you implement anything like this.
Colin is dead right about security - try to avoid calling any of your html, php or whatever "upload", "file-upload" or "file_upload", 'cos that is what malicious hackers crawl the web looking for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online