1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upload usage = 3GB in 24 Hrs!?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dynamix, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Hey guys...

You've just opened the door to one frustrated BT Broadband customer!!

To cut a HUGE story short, my Internet speed has been reduced to 0.5MB or there abouts, due to the apparent infirginement of the "Fair Usage Policy".

My ISP has decided to restrict my Web access because I've run over the usage limit.

I said that this is impossible, to the guy on the phone. He ran some checks and discovered that MY line had consumed a 3GB upload usage in 24 HRS!!

That is pretty much impossible for any single home user, isn't it?

Regardless of that, I don't do any upload activity at all... Especially in the last 24 hrs.

He said to me that it could be a virus or some sort of mal/spyware sneding data from my PC. This is highly unlikely as I regard myself as a pretty experienced, schooled and conservative Web-user.

The only programs that I use for Internet related tasks (in the last 24-48 hrs) have been MSN Messenger, Gmail Notifier, FireFox for web page browsing and one poker tournament.

Even in the past, when I have used a P2P program, it was not for excessive use and certainly not for uploading anything.

Can anyone help me out? I miss my 7MB connection.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd have to say that you have some malware or P2P application working, even if you're not aware of it.

Please post a HijackThis 2.00.2 Log here.

3. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Hey,

Ran HiJackThis, and the results are attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. jmwills

jmwills

Sounds like your system is running a rogue mail server application and is being used to send spam. I would block Port 25 on the router for a time and see if the trend continues.

5. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

But did you identify anything from the HJT log to be causing such a problem?

6. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "I:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized

Your possible culprit, it's set to run minimised at startup.

7. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Ok, I uninstalled BitTorrent and removed that entry above.

I also, recently installed a tool called Net Monitor to allow me to monitor my D/U Internet usage. Do you thnik that itself is uploading vast amounts of data??

Thank so far guys!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Nope. Since the problem was upload, it's most likely that you had BT running in the background and had some files available to share. If that's the case then BT would be the culprit because it will upload any file that is requested, and certainly 3GB is possible on a 7MB connection.

9. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Hey,

I understand, but the BT software which I have on one of the PC's doesn't consist of anything that would send data anywhere.

Plus, my connection at the time was 0.4MB, nt the usual 7MB, which makes it even more hardto believe.

Maybe the usage on the line was caused by the amount of speed tests I have done? Or the amount of sped/line tests BT conducted?

10. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

He means BitTorrent by "BT".

That WOULD upload data if files that you are sharing were requested by other users of BitTorrent, and depending on what you're sharing, 3gb of data uploaded could certainly be possible.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Sorry, I forgot you are using British Telecom :) Thanks for the clarification/correction Ed.

12. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

No worries.

13. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Ah, I see!

Ok, I had only one 90 minute soccer match in my BT folder... I guess it could have been the culprit, but its unlikely considering it is of an old game and 3Gig in 24 hours would still be a long shot.

Any programs to measure how much I am using other thn net Monitor?

14. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Just before I mark this as solved, could anyone analyse the HJT results from my other networked comp.

Perhaps there is a problem here. The log is attached. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't appear to have an Anti-Virus installed, I'd do something about that. AVG Free is a good choice, and the price is right.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice