1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uploading databases

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gbrandwood, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbrandwood

gbrandwood Thread Starter

Greetings

Another quick question that maybe someone can help me with. I'll certainly have a lot more hair left by the time I'm 30 if you can! :confused: :confused:

I run some MDB (access 97) files on IIS 4 (NT 4 SP6) and connect using some home grown ASP code. Everything works a treat...but...

If, for some reason, I have updated the databases content offline, i.e. on my local replica of the website, when I come to upload it (I use Dreamweaver but have tried lots of 'proper' FTP software), the program tells me it can't because the file is in use on the server.

I have the files I work on in my development folder. No one apart from me accesses the files so I assume the server is using them for something???

The only way I can re-upload is to go to the server and restart the web services. Surely there's an easier way (without turning on remote admin)?

Is there something I'm leaving open in my code? I close all connections like so:

<%
    objCon.Close
    Set objCon = Nothing
    recCon.close
    Set recCon = Nothing
    recCon2.close
    Set recCon2 = Nothing
    %>

Any help would be of great help.

Regards

Gareth

2. Rockn

Rockn

It's still open because someone is accessing the database locally or through your web server. Look for an ldb file running in the db directory and that is why you can't update it. Shut down IIS so no one can access the db and then update the db.

3. gbrandwood

gbrandwood Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn but the database and asp files are in a development folder that only I can access.

I can't remember now, if there was an ldb file, I'll check the next time it happens.

After I've I accessed the database I close the browser down completely. I'd therefore expect to be able do what ever I want to the database - but I can't.

To prove the point - stopping the site in IIS is not enough. I have to manually stop the service. Only then does the server free up the database. Sure, this works but I have to walk down to the computer room to do it.

I was thinking maybe my code was failing to close its connections to the database - or the server was setup to remember users for a long time?!?

Can you think of any other possibilities?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice