1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uploading Files to Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vic11, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vic11

vic11 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router and I would like to be able to allow, in this case my son, to upload his family video's to my router. I have added a USB external drive to the router for this purpose but not sure of the way to set it up. Obviously I want to set security options so that whoever uploads to it will not have access to anything else.

I am aware of the ASUS AiCloud and FTP server but would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thank you in advance
    Vic

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use a linksys router however the procedure should be basically the same. Connect your drive to the usb port on your router; pw ON the drive. Go to your router's config page. I think asus is the same as linksys; you type 192.168.1.1 into the browser; input your router pw. You should have a section for external storage. There you will set whatever permissions you want ie who can access the drive, what they can do, etc.

3. vic11

vic11 Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver

Thank you for your reply.

I've read it through a few times now (The manual) and think I'm ok with it. Just wanted to make sure and whether the options I've chosen are the best way to go. Will give it a go. Btw I use to have a Linksys for years and had no problems with it but needed to update last October and ended up with the ASUS.

Thanks again
    Regards
    Vic

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice