1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UPNP media server issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andymacuk2001, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andymacuk2001

andymacuk2001 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a media receiver (Philips Streamium) that only works with UPnP servers. I have created a network attached storage device using a USB hard drive and a USB LAN NAS adapter. This is now working effectively as a NAS and will stream to windows media player perfectly well. However, it is not UPnP therefore it is not working properly with the Streamium, or with Twonky on a laptop attached to the same network. The Streamium device can 'see' the NAS, as can Twonky (which identifies as a ''basic' server), and it can see the media server shared SMB folders. It cannot however stream the media. The error that the Streamium throws is 'this is an empty list' when trying to access any shared folder. Twonky states ' cannot retrieve information from server'.

Does anyone know if/how there is a soft way I can convert the USB NAS to meet UPnP requirement? My router does support UPNP, therefore this is not the issue, and I have tested this by attaching the NAS USB LAN directly to the Streamium via ethernet, which gives the same problem.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Andy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice