1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UPnP - My router supports this but doesnt work?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by paulb100, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

im on Vista Ultimate with a NETGEAR DG834G which Im sure supports UPnP , but in past when ive tried to use it its never worked and ive just ran the Microsoft Internet Conectivity Tool which reports all is OK for VISTA but UPnP isnt supported by my router???

can anyone tell me why this is happening?

EDIT: ive checked and its on...
    Turn UPnP On ON
    Advertisement Period (in minutes) 30
    Advertisement Time To Live (in hops) 4

THANKS

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TTL of 4 hops seems pretty short, try making that something like 32.

Here's some additional info:

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah will do thanks,

but that doesnt explain why UPnP isnt working? the Microsoft Internet Conectivity Tool says its not supported and when I ran a few p2p apps a while ago they too said UPnP wasnt supported and I had to manually open ports (which is bad as they remain open)

I currently use uTorrent and ive opened a port for that and it supports UPnP - iTHINK it may be working with uTorrent as UPnP on the router shows uTorrent as using it BUT its actually the uTorrent firewall rule thats in UPnP - so I wonder if it works by detecting the port being accessed and if the port is in my Firewall Rules then it opens the port for utorrent...??? I dunno I dont THINK so cos UPnP and Manually opening ports are 2 diff things

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since we don't support any P2P applications, I'm afraid I can't help you with uTorrent.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699722