1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upper case file names when transfering from CD-RW can i change it?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tayman, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tayman

Tayman Thread Starter

I have what i hope is a quick/easy question to answer. Whenever i transfer files from a CD-RW disk back to my hard drive, the names convert into upper case. This doesn't happen from the floppy drive or cd-r disks, only cd-rw & only on transfer back to the hard drive, not in transfer to the disk.

I have a HP cd writer (getting fairly old now) with adaptec direct cd software. i'm running windows 98. I DON'T have the "allow all upper case names" option in folder options ticked and it also happened on my old computer and is still happening on my new computer (same cd-writer transfered to the new computer).

Does anyone know how i can stop it happening? i know it's not a huge issue, but i've just bought a new computer (still getting it up & running) & i really don't want a PILE of files all with upper case names if i can avoid it, so really hoping it can be fixed

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This occurs when you use the ISO standard for creating Data CDs.

You must enable the Joliet standard to allow both upper and lower case text.

3. Tayman

Tayman Thread Starter

ah ok thanks :D

I have no idea how to do that, but at least now i know what i'm looking for, so hopefully i'll be able to figure it out.

Does that mean i'm not going to be able to do anything with any of the cd's already written, only future ones or will it be possible to change it somehow on the done ones too? i'm guessing it probably won't be possibel with the done ones, will need to reformat them after i've removed the data before it will work

4. Tayman

Tayman Thread Starter

well i've been looking at it all further, but i don't think that explaination can fit in this case. in the help section of the disk software under ISO, it says "CD-RW discs do not support the ISO format." & i haven't been able to find anywhere i can change the format on the cd-rw disks. found it on the cd-r disks & that is currently set to Joliet, but can't find any of that stuff on the cd-rw part of the disk software :(

also just to clarify, when it burns to disk (cd-rw) it burns in lower case fine. it's only when i transfer data back to the hard drive that it suddenly changes to all upper case

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unsure what the issue is with CD-RW, as its far too unreliable to use in my experience when used with InCD or DirectCD so gave up on that media some time back. Your mileage may differ though, but I have seen too many bad results where people lost critical data.

There are many free batch file converters to rename the files or alter their case. You might like to try one.
    http://www.handyarchive.com/Web-Development/HTML-Editors/2184-Case-Converter.html

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm going to guess that your older version of Windows and the DirectCD software is the issue. Since I've given up on packet writing software in total, I can't be more specific. I hasten to point out that I've never seen any issues with burning CD's with Nero 5.5.x.x software and file name case.

7. Tayman

Tayman Thread Starter

the direct cd software and windows 98 are similar in age, so i doubt there's a conflict if that's what you mean, but i really don't have a clue. could also be interesting to see what happens when i do get a newer operating system onto my computer

i'm also sure it didn't used to change the case when i first started using it, but as i said it doesn't so it for cd-r disks so it's quite possible it always has with cd-rw disks & i just didnt' transfer data back to my hd from cd-rw till ages after i'd been doing it with cd-r disks.

i've actually switched to using nero now in burning new cd-r disks, i think i might need to look at switching to that for cd-rw disks too by the sound of it. am i going to be able to reformat the disks i already have to work with nero? or is it safer to leave the disks i have as are and only use nero on new disks i buy?

& thanks for the link kiwiguy :) i have a bulk renamer program, but not one that will easily bulk change case, so sounds like that might be the best option to use at least for now :)

8. johnni

johnni

Here's another free bulk renamer which includes Title Case, UPPER, and lower. It shows you how the file names will look before it actually renames them.
    http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk/Site/Software/Software_Intro.php
    (I use Nero InCD for formatting and I don't think it changes any cases, but I don't normally transfer files to the HD)

johnni

9. Tayman

Tayman Thread Starter

thanks johnni :) appresiate all the software suggestions. i'm sure the suggestions from here are a lot better than anything i would end up with just searching download.com or other download sites

Update, i've now got windows XP installed. So far i haven't installed any other software for the cd writer & so far the files are transfering back to the hard drive as is, with no changes to the case. I can't cut/delete/remove them from the cd-rw, only copy them to the hard drive, but i'm thinking i'll do that with them before doing anything more with installing stuff anyway.

I'm still learning how to use XP for the first time, so i figure i'm better off taking it slowely & getting the hang of it one bit at a time before i overwhelm the system with new software & can't figure out where the problem is.

i can't easily install the cdrom software anyway, it's showing up a message "Install Assistant could not find a suitable IDE controller for the HP CD-Writer Plus." so i'm guessing i'm going to have some issues to work through with it & possibly not being compadible with the newer system, but at this stage i'm just going to get the files off the disk back to the hard drive, then later i'll fiddle more with XP's disk writter stuff, then nero, then if it's still not sorted maybe consider the original software's suggestion of installing anyway & see if it does work itself out, then if i really can't work it out on my own i'll post back here with a fresh post asking for help.

at this stage though i think i'll probably be able to figure it out myself, just need to spend some time working on it.

the renaming software certianly will be useful though so thank you for that & thanks all for trying to help :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/303905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice