1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Upping CPU frequency stops machine starting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerryn, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerryn

Kerryn Thread Starter

I recently decided to upgrade my CPU to a 1.4ghz AMD Athlon.

When I put the CPU in the opening screen detected AMD Athlon 1050mhz ( 10.5 x 100 )

I went into the bios to upgrade that 10.5 to 14 or the 100 to 133.

I eventually find the CPU core frequency. I change this to 133 and the machine refuses to come on and not being able to even get into the BIOS i had to remove the battery from the mother board to reset the CMOS.

Upping the frequency to 102 has the desired result taking me up by 20 or so mhz so I know im on the right track. But once past 110 the computer refuses to come on.

What do I need to do to get my computer to work at 1.4ghz?

2. deuce

deuce

It sounds like your AMD should be using a 100 Mhz front side bus. Anything higher is overclocking that cpu. Set the fsb to 100 and the mutipler to 14. You can do those both in your bios. It sounds like the fsb should already be at 100.... so just up the multiplier. If you aren't sure how to do that let me know what bios you have I'll walk you through... but it sounds like you have it covered.

3. brianF

brianF

That cpu comes in two flavors, either a 10.5 or 14 multiplier.
    Being it picked up the 10.5 I would think that is correct.
    Upping the system bus to 133 would be the correct setting I believe.

Questions??

Do you have pc 133 memory in your machine. You would need PC2100 DDR SDRAM I believe to support that chip, but I am not an amd expert.
    Do you have the heatsink/fan installed properly.
    Does your motherboard support this processor

4. deuce

deuce

Opps... sorry for the inaccurate advice. :cool:

5. Kerryn

Kerryn Thread Starter

I have PC133 RAM but the motherboard doesn't really like it all that much. I ended up dropping the DRAM clock to 100 again. The motherboard does not support DDR memory.

According to Jetways site the motherboard should support the processor in 200mhz FSB which means the core should be 100 rather then 133 but as yet despite about 7 e-mails to them I havent had an explanation.

Heatsink and fan are installed correctly.

6. Kerryn

Kerryn Thread Starter

OK I covered it now. The company ( dabs.com ) sent me a 266mhz FSB chip by accident.

Im currently on hold trying to get a refund and get the right chip sent.

If I don't reply here again I thank you all for your help and it means my problem is sorted.

If I reply here again it iwll only be to warn you away from dabs.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!