1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uprade to XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cstultz, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstultz

cstultz Thread Starter

I have windows 98 SE on my computer now. I do have a copy of Windows XP home edition. I am thinking of upgrading to XP. Is it much of an upgrade? How easy is it to overwrite 98? Would I need to format and debug my hard drive? I do have a slave So I could save a lot of my information to my slave. What do you guys suggest?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Microsoft recommends you upgrade but I recommend you perform a fresh install, so you don't carry over the old baggage and problem from Windows 98. But you will have to reinstall all your applications. Make sure you backup your data by copying it to your second hard drive. When you install XP it will provide the option to repartition and reformat the hard drive. If you are using a XP Upgrade CD, it will request you insert an Windows CD to verifiy you have one.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

XP needs more memory than Win98 . . 256 is bare minimum and 512 seems to be the sweet spot. Some of your programs may not be compatible but most are, and you may need up update your BIOS to the latest version. You can use the XP disc to check to see if your pc is compatible with XP. Just put in in your cd-rom while Win 98 is running.

If you decide to go with XP, a clean installation will give you much better results than installing over the top of Win 98. Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet you should enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard ( also on the XP CD ) to create an image of them and save to your second HDD. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

Have fun . . wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice