1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uprading ram. What chips are the right chips?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elij, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently I have become increasingly annoyed with the amount my pc hangs up and slows down when downloading, copying discs and often just surfing with several windows open at one time. I think i'm quite competent with software issues, and believe that - after running a defrag, virus scans, spyware scans, reg mechs, disc cleanup, blah, blah, blah - it's time to upgrade my ram.

I currently have 512mb ddr-sdram
    maximum memory for my pc is 4gb

I'm considering buying 1-2gb to boost up performance, but this is were I get stuck.

Although I've looked at all sorts of sites offering this and that ram, I'm not entirely sure what is compatible with my pc. Here is some info on my pc's innards: -

main circuit board:
    Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Amberine M 1.03
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.14 01/17/2006

processor:
    1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

memory type:
    184-pin pc3200 (400mhz)

4 DIMM sockets

memory slots:
    slot 'A0' has 512mb
    slot 'A1' is empty
    slot 'A2' is empty
    slot 'A3' is empty

(nb. I havent opened the pc, this info is supplied from 'my computer' and using 'Belarc Advisor')

here is an example of a product I think might work for me:

Patriot 2GB PC3200 Signature (2x1GB)

So my problem is, I'm not totally sure what I need to know to get the correct ram. Is simply knowing 'pc3200' enough? Plus, people say I must have 2 ram sticks for them to work, that 2 of the dimm sockets may be for different ram types, that if I wanted to have 2 1gb sticks and my original 512mb, I'd have to put the higher amount in the first slots, it goes on and on.

I know this is childs play to many people, but I feel like I'm stepping into a minefield of expense.

Please help!!!

2. dez_666

dez_666

Please get CPU-Z, it will give a bit more information than belarc..or well more information that you gave..

Download it here:

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-140.zip

Run CPUZ.exe and click the 'about' tab, click 'Registers Dump (*.txt)' and save that to your desktop. and add it as an attatchment on your next post.

:)

3. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

here is what you asked for

hope this can give you answers for me

Attached Files:

4. dez_666

dez_666

sorry for the wait >_> can you do the *.HTM page? if you cant upload the .htm, put it in a .zip

5. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

i cant attach the file, it says 'invalid file'?

6. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

ok, done that

Attached Files:

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

The best way to buy ram for a pc is to go to a ram mfgr site and use their configurators to find the right model numbers, then either buy there or find that exact model elsewhere.
    www.crucial.com, kingston.com or corsair.com are all I will use. Many mfgr sites can be used to find compatible ram for your motherboard but unfortunately Asus is not one that is of much use.
    Buying ram by speed and price is planning to make the worst mistake and it's ok if you p[lace no value on your time. Density, cas latency and ecc factor are what determines whether or not ram will work in a unit and if you dopn't know what any of those terms mean, that's why I use the configurators (and I do know what they mean)!

8. dez_666

dez_666

You need to find this: DDR PC3200 200 MHz 2x1GB

Your motherboard can handle a maximum of 2GB, so using your 512mb stick will be out of the question, unless you have 4 memory slots and buy 3 other 512 sticks, which i wouldnt recommend for compatibility reasons.

Also, the max a single stick can be is 1GB, so no 2GB sticks for you :]

9. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

thanks for your time, much appreciated

10. dez_666

dez_666

No, thank CPU-Z :)

Everything you could ever want to know about your motherboard and RAM is in there :D

11. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

you say my mother board can only handle 2GB, yet everything else I look at claims it has a maximum of 4GB!

12. dez_666

dez_666

From the CPU-Z Registers Dump text file you posted:

Max capacity = 2048MB, divide that by 1GiB (1024mb) and that leaves '2'

2x1GiB is the maximum from what CPU-z says.

However, 32 bit windows can only utilize 3GiB of RAM anyways :D so theres no point in having 4GiB.

13. Elij

Elij Thread Starter

ok, 2gb I think would be plenty and make the difference I want.

thanks for clearing things up for me.

14. dez_666

dez_666

If you have any more questions or concerns, dont hesitate to ask :)

Wouldnt want you stuck with the wrong RAM.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice