1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UPS and erratic behaviour

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tom.stevenson, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

I have been using and UPS with my PC without problem for more than 20 years, but for the last few months it has caused eratic behaviour. My current UPS is an APC Back-UPS RS 1500. This gives me a good 22 minutes breathing space when the power is cut according to the countdown on the LED screen. However, as soon as the alarm goes and the UPS seamlessly provides power from its charged battery, the control of my mouse becomes increasingly more erratic and it takes several minutes and much patience, not only to place the cursor over relevant parts of the screen, but also to wait for those places to become active before I can save work and turn off. Only with a reboot does the problem disappear. The UPS is not totally useless, as I can save work, but its usefulness is only a fraction of what it should be. I'm assuming this is hardware related, but if anyone thinks my thread should be moved elsewhere, feel free. Any ideas?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3327 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 15437 MB, Free - 11302 MB; D: Total - 53386 MB, Free - 49359 MB; E: Total - 16237 MB, Free - 3193 MB; F: Total - 123596 MB, Free - 96318 MB; G: Total - 16268 MB, Free - 7266 MB; H: Total - 15915 MB, Free - 3593 MB; J: Total - 19492 MB, Free - 5171 MB; L: Total - 16378 MB, Free - 810 MB; N: Total - 143086 MB, Free - 19486 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Blitz Formula, Rev 1.xx, MS1C76B8CD00507
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Sponsor

3. valis

valis Moderator

20 years with the same UPS? If I read that correctly, I'm going to assume that the UPS is toast. That's a pretty long life span for any computer hardware to live.

4. tom.stevenson

The RS 1500 hasn't been around that long. It's less than a year old. Sorry if I was not clear, but I did say "My current UPS is ..."

5. tom.stevenson

MOVED FROM HARDWARE AS IT SEEMS TO HAVE THAT GROUP BAFFLED

I have been using and UPS with my PC without problem for more than 20 years, but for the last few months it has caused eratic behaviour. My current UPS is an APC Back-UPS RS 1500. This gives me a good 22 minutes breathing space when the power is cut according to the countdown on the LED screen. However, as soon as the alarm goes and the UPS seamlessly provides power from its charged battery, the control of my mouse becomes increasingly more erratic and it takes several minutes and much patience, not only to place the cursor over relevant parts of the screen, but also to wait for those places to become active before I can save work and turn off. Only with a reboot does the problem disappear. The UPS is not totally useless, as I can save work, but its usefulness is only a fraction of what it should be. I'm assuming this is hardware related, but if anyone thinks my thread should be moved elsewhere, feel free. Any ideas?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3327 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 15437 MB, Free - 11302 MB; D: Total - 53386 MB, Free - 49359 MB; E: Total - 16237 MB, Free - 3193 MB; F: Total - 123596 MB, Free - 96318 MB; G: Total - 16268 MB, Free - 7266 MB; H: Total - 15915 MB, Free - 3593 MB; J: Total - 19492 MB, Free - 5171 MB; L: Total - 16378 MB, Free - 810 MB; N: Total - 143086 MB, Free - 19486 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Blitz Formula, Rev 1.xx, MS1C76B8CD00507
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it only the pointing device that is affected? (What device, by the way.)

Are other apps slowed down and sluggish? What amount of total CPU usage shows in Task Manager during these fits, and what process uses the most?

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Might help if we knew if your computer was monitoring the status of the UPS via the USB port. If so, are you using some version of APC's PowerChute software or the UPS support in Windows XP? What are the software settings?

8. tom.stevenson

Hi Elvandil
    The whole system slows down and it becomes very difficult to use the erratic mouse to close things down. According to Process Explorer by Sysinternals, the last time this happened, the biggest CPU usage was hardware interrupts, about 27%, which is I think extraordinarily high.

9. valis

valis Moderator

merged duplicates.

10. bulrush

bulrush

If your UPS is 20 years old, maybe it does not provide enough power, in battery mode, for everything you have plugged into the PC. A mouse with a cord uses power from the PC. Even a wireless mouse uses power, on the sending unit plugged into the PC.

List all devices you have plugged into the PC right now.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

I have the same UPS you have except an earlier model. If you have the APC PowerChute software installed, open the program and under Monitor System, click on Current Status. What is your load on the Battery Backup?

12. tom.stevenson

I don't know how these got merged ... but I never bothered to install the Powerchute software, as there is no likelihood of the UPS taking over on battery power and needing to close down gracefully as I'm always here when the PC is on, so at least there is not a software complication causing this.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice