UPS Software for 2000 server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vookster82

Kinda a silly question....but i recently bought a Tripplite UPS. I dont like there software "Poweralert" at all. I came across the software from APC UPS maker called "powerchute". And im wondering if i could use that software instead of the software that came with my tripplite....or any other recommended UPS software that has good features?

From what i can tell windows is not using any of the tripplite drivers for monitoring the UPS, (so the device manager says...) so i think i would be able to without having windows lose the monitoring connection. I was originally going to use the built in power management feature...but ive had bad luck with the stock windows power managment feature and would rather use a 3rd party software.

So, any ideas on weather or not i could use software from a different manufacture for my tripplite UPS? Any and all help / suggestions / personal experinaces is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!! :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect that you'll run into problems trying to use a different brand software, and that would also violate the EULA for the APC software in question. As I'm sure you're aware, that's an activity we don't support here.

Truthfully, I just use the Windows UPS handling, what have you found deficient with it? All I want the UPS to do is signal when it gets to a specific point and shutdown properly. :)

vookster82

Yeah your right as usual johnwill...it kinda dawned on me what i was asking was a nono shortly after i posted. As for the windows UPS monitor, i originally started off using it but when i tested it didnt shutdown right and kept hanging. But its possible it was the old sofware interfering with it if its still installed. Ill have to take another look. I just sorta got stuck being the sys admin a few weeks ago b/c the previous person moved. :(

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've never had any issues with the simple UPS handling that Windows provides. Obviously, some of the other packages have neat options like charting the health of the UPS, checking the current power draw, etc., but I just want continuous power for the most part. :D

vookster82

yeah ill have to give it another try...and double check to see is there is any old ups software lingering around. As always, thanks again and again and again johnwill

vookster82

well, i ended up just leaving the tripplite software installed. But i made sure that it never does anything thing as far as shutting down or managing the power....only logging reports. I have the windows UPS feature doing all the leg work...but i havnt tested yet b/c it not really somthing that i can really test....i dont feal like pulling the plug to see what happens :eek: ...not on our server anyways. :rolleyes:

Thanks once again JW

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Live dangerously, pull the plug. Actually, sometime when you're going to reboot anyway, I'd give it a try, just to know that it'll work when you need it.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
JohnWill said:
Live dangerously, pull the plug. Actually, sometime when you're going to reboot anyway, I'd give it a try, just to know that it'll work when you need it.
Yeah, you gotta test that stuff. Same goes for your backup media. My friend had a client in the past that never did this. The backups were running every night but cable running to the tape drive was bad, so nothing was getting written to the tape. Yet it looked like it was backing up everynight. Boy were they in a world of hurt when they needed to restore a file.

vookster82

LOL...live dangerously...LOL. Yeah i want to...but its just that little voice in the back on my head saying "why the hell would you want to purposly do something like that". But then the other voice says "dude, it would be stupid not to test it". :eek:

So yeah, i guess ill make a image backup, verify it as usual (acronis, sometimes ghost)....then pull the plug and close my eyes and listen to the wonderful sound of "danger, danger, danger my robinson.....beeeeep" :eek:

Quick question, now will windows try and close any and all open progys and prep itself for the shutdown before shutting down????....i would think so...but i like to ask the experts here at TSG.

Im pretty sure i got it setup so at 50% it beeps and 25% it shuts down. This way there is atleast a chance of the power going back on within 15-30 min (i havnt tested yet..) and then it can go back to AC mode without too much office disruption.

Ill give it a try when i head in there tonight. Thanks for the push off the cliff that i know i needed, but didnt want to admit. :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The UPS task should properly shutdown the server, since that's it's whole purpose in life. :) FWIW, I'd also configure it to start warning the users after a couple of minutes to log out and save their work.

I'd try two tests.

One, pull the power for a minute or two, then connect it again.

Two, pull the power until the server shuts down, and make sure that that works properly, and it comes up after the power interruption without any glitches.

vookster82

Hopefully ill have time over the weekend and try to bring the sucka down.....and back up without problem:rolleyes:

vookster82

LOL, i know. Ive learned my lesson a long time ago. But a simle reminder never hurts. Thanks

P.S. I love the quote, so true.
I cant wait till i start taking computer classes next semester...if i can scroung up enough $$$
:eek:

vookster82

Well, both test went good from what i can tell. The server shutdown itself down like i wanted it to at 10%. However, i did notice that i had the hard disk to shutdown after 5 min of being on the battery...but it never shutdown. But i figure b/c i have it setup to shutdown the computer at 10% that it would need to HDD up and running to execute the shutdown command.... i dunno:confused:

The shutdown seemed kinda harsh too. It didnt seem to close anything or prep itself for shutdown before shutting down. Just 2 seconds later it was powered off after it hit 10%...no log off or anything...just bam.:mad:

But hey it fired right back up with no problem and nothing new in the event log. :rolleyes:

Any ideas for a better shutdown / UPS windows configuration?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online