Upside down text

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wolfworx

A client of mine inquired about a method of inverting a single paragraph in a newsletter. Because of the way the letter was folded for mailing, the orientation of the center of the newsletter was 180 degrees off the desired position thus requiring a way to invert the middle paragraph of the page.

I do not know of a way to directly do this in Word, although I can copy the desired text piece, paste it as a graphic image in PSPro (or some other graphic program), invert it and paste it back as a graphic image in the Word document to produce the desired result.

This procedure tends to be a bit lossy resolution-wise and of course the content can no longer be edited. (n)

Does anyone have a better Idea?

In Word, there is no ability to rorarte the text box in my version of Word (2003)

A normal box with text added can be rotated but the text is not rotated with it.

Word Art allows it, but its really then a graphic and not rotated text. (but may be what the poster wants, subject to text formats supported)

So I am curious Rockn, how you accomplished it?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
"""" This procedure tends to be a bit lossy resolution-wise and of course the content can no longer be edited. (n)
Does anyone have a better Idea?""""

No - but you got me curious. If PSP is the only way, Try using a gif format, it doesn't insert compression artifacts around the sharp text edges.

Anne Troy

Anne
There's no better way without VBA, wolfworx. And the VBA will just create graphic text anyway.

Anne Troy

Anne
Oh... you could consider printing twice. Once right-side-up. The next right-side down.

There is a way to do it in Word, without resorting to making graphics of the text to be inverted - which may cause some font appearance degradation if not created properly; and also without resorting to WordArt (which is actually a pretty good way).

But let's say you didn't like those ways... what's a mother to do?

You probably already found out that text frames can rotate text, but only at 90° from normal.
So ...
all you do is create a page in landscape (assuming you wanted a portrait page) then insert all your text in text boxes. Rotate the "up-right" text 90° one direction, and rotate all your "up-side-down" text 90° in the other direction.

It is as clumsy as it sounds, and the text boxes will jump around, until you set the properties of the frames to float as you want, without automatically resizing, but it can be done.

I have attached an example here.

Attachments

Yea, I was mistaken. You can do it as an image, but not a text box. Create a text box in Excel and format it the way you want it, copy it and go into word and do a paste special. Paste it as a graphic and you can rotate to your hearts content.

wolfworx

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try the gif rather than jpg to see how that works... WordArt may be a good alternative as well.

Another simple solution is to purchase an inexpensive program like Printmaster. It has those kinds of features. Such as when a greeting card is made and folded like a greeting card, part of the text is upside down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online