1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help: a disk read error has occurred please press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MannySingh, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MannySingh

MannySingh Thread Starter

Hey, i really need help, the other day (august first) i was on the web and everything started running extra slow and started freezing on me, so i just shut off the power, as i went to turn it back on i got this message saying "A disk read error has occurred please press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" so i did it and the message kept coming up over and over again, its really frustrating i looked at a view forum's that talked about this issue and i have all my files pretty much backed up, well at least the important ones, all i need to do is reformat my computer because the seems like the only way possible unless i'm wrong, i do not have any warranty left, and i lost the cd's my computer came with :\ please help.

Manny .

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive as the hard drive may have failed on you. What brand is the hard drive?

if you do not have the Windows CD's then you will have to purchase a new set. Is there a Windows license key attached to the computer?

3. MannySingh

i'm not a very smart person when it comes to this type of stuff. how do i run a manufacturer's diagnostic? & the hard drive is dell if thats what your asking. and a new set? as in a new computer or another cd? and uhm like i said i'm not good with this type of stuff :\

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    To run the computers diagnostics if i remember correctly you have to go into the BIOS which on a dell you get to by tapping F2.he means a new set of recovery cds from dell not a new computer.if it is the hard drive thats failing or has failed you will need to replace it.if you arent comfortable with doing the diagnostics you might have to take it somewhere and have someone look at it and go from there.

5. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

6. MannySingh

Sorry if I don't get on this as often as I would want to but I ran a diagonstic and the results are

Drive 0: ST3160828AS - Fail. Return Code: 7
    Drive 1: No device
    Drive 2: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8164B - Diagontics not supported
    Drive 3: HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GWA4164B - Diagonstics not supported

Also I can try that but my other computer is very very slow

7. Firebreather

Firebreather

Are you having pre-installed OS? If yes, you can press f11 after booting.... that should start the re-install.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The diagnostics report the drive as faulty. You need to replace the hard drive with a new one before reinstalling Windows.

Here's an example of a drive that'll work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136771

As for the software, you'll have to order recovery discs from Dell or take it into a local shop to have Windows reinstalled if you do not have any discs.

9. MannySingh

whats a pre installed os? &okay so theres no way that'll work at all? so what i need to do is buy a new hard drive and get a recovery disc from dell or a computer store ?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A pre-installed O/S is one that is installed for you by the manufacturer when you buy a computer.

Your hard drive is faulty, broken, no good, needing replacement.

11. MannySingh

whats a os? lool

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Its the operating system such as windows xp, vista, or windows 7.if the hard drive is shot you arent going to be able to do anything until you get the drive replaced. if you cant get recovery disks from dell you can get them from ebay or somewhere else on the internet.if that doesnt work you will have to buy another copy of whatever version of windows came with the computer or go to a computer repair place and have them install the correct operating system for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice